Waves Central not native to Apple M1

Just noticed that while the v13 plugins run natively on Apple silicon, Waves Central does not so you still need to have Rosetta installed to install the plugins. Not a huge deal but hopefully that will change sooner rather than later as I’m trying to net even have Rosetta installed on my M1 system.

1 Like

Yeah that’s correct. Central itself will still require Rosetta to run. The plugins themselves, though, are M1 Native (ARM-64).

I guess Waves figured it was more important to get the plugins running natively, putting Central on the back burner for now. I imagine it will be addressed some time in the near future.

V14 in March 2023, still forced to install Rosetta just to be able to use Waves plugins that do not need Rosetta because there’s no other way to install the plugins according to Waves Technical Support.

There’s another topic but I am not allowed to post a link even if inside Waves Forums.

https://forum.waves.com/t/waves-central-asking-for-rosetta-installing-v14-plugins/6706/5

Generally the DAW or the OS is the problem in this case, because they do run natively where possible.

https://www.waves.com/support/waves-with-apple-silicon-processors

It is Waves installers that require installing Rosetta, not the OS, and not the DAW.

Waves plugins were advertised and sold as being fully native compliant with the DAW and the OS in native mode, that is without “forcing” the user to install Rosetta, but the truth is that there’s no way you can use Waves plugins without installing Rosetta.

Almost every other company has updated their plugins and “also the installers”.

I guess Waves is looking for other ways to earn money than to keep customers loyal to Waves, which is all the proof I need to know the sound quality I can expect from Waves and the kind of support I would get if needed.

I paid a lot of money to Waves but they refuse to either update a single installer or refund me although I am unable to use it as advertised.

Of course I am not spending a cent on Waves plugins or subscriptions ever again but I paid others and I am thankful I had this problem with Waves to have the opportunity to realize how much better are other brands plugins.

Correct, the installer requires Rosetta. The plugins ARE “fully native compliant with the DAW and the OS in native mode”.

I too would prefer the installer to be Apple Silicon native as well but to be honest, I still need Rosetta for so many other things that it really doesn’t matter to me anymore. At some point Apple is going to cut off the Rosetta train and developers are going to be forced to either update or leave the apple ecosystem altogether.

Why would Waves refund your purchase? The plugins are advertised as Apple Silicon native, which they are. The installer was not and it’s trivial to use a free Apple provided utility to install them. So, how are you not able to use your plugins as advertised?

1 Like

Because I do not need Rosetta for anything else and I don’t want Rosetta installed in my system due to several annoyances, so I can be 100% sure everything is running in native mode as Advertised.

It was not advertised that I would need to install Rosetta for installing the plugins. It was advertised that Waves v14 were 100% fully native and never explained that I would still need to install Rosetta.

I cannot use the plugins because I do not have Rosetta installed and I will never install it.

Waves support just tells me that there’s no way to install the plugins without the “Waves Central” installer. There is no other way, nothing, and I do not want Rosetta installed into my system, as it was not required nor even noticed in small footprint that I would still need Rosetta.

I don’t need Rosetta. I don’t want Rosetta. You cannot fully uninstall Rosetta. Rosetta is not an App.

I bought the plugins, not the installer.

Waves force me to use the installer called “Waves Central” and it only requires Rosetta when you have already selected the plugins you purchased and you click “Install & Activate”.

“Abort” is the only alternative to not installing Rosetta.

Waves should refund my purchase because I was never told that I would need to install Rosetta just to use plugins that were advertised as not requiring Rosetta.

I repeat I purchased the plugins, not the Installer, and I cannot install the plugins without the “Waves Central” installer, so Waves should have refunded me when I asked for it, as it was a trap for me and other customers. The installer was not advertised as native but it was not advertised back then as needing Rosetta. In fact the installer works without Rosetta, it’s only the “Install & Activate” any one plugin feature that forces you to install Rosetta.

My plugins are not Activated by Waves.

My system is always-on, and I only use one computer.

It’s fair to refund a customer who cannot use your products due to some inconsistency in their advertisements.

It’s unfair to grab so much money and let the user doomed into oblivion.

Go to any plugin page on Waves’ site. Click tech specs, where I assume you go to check to see if the plugin is supported on your OS version and DAW version before you purchase. Under the Mac section there is a heading: Intel or Silicon Architecture and right beneath that is:
See notes regarding Apple Silicon based processors - which links you to Apple Silicon Support for Waves Plugins | Waves

Or, download the trial to see if it will work on your system and to your expectations. The trial is exactly the same as the full version, only the license differs.

It’s your responsibility to make sure the plugins you purchase work on your system…

1 Like

It’s my responsibility to try avoid getting robbed, right.

It’s probably Waves responsibility to stealthy run Rosetta code on your machine without user notice.

Ouch… I realized my electric bike requires fuel to recharge and although it is electric it can only be charged with fuel. It’s well explained in a link behind a link besides another link in small footprint deep inside another link. It’s my fault, sorry.

I paid for a “License to use Waves software” but I cannot use it, a license that they know that it’s not active, and the only issue is being fair or unfair to the customer.

Although it may be properly links to another link which has extended misleading information inside another link, this is as unexpected as being forced to use fuel to recharge my electric bike.

I purchased native plugins that I cannot use unless I run non-native code and Waves refuse any responsibility or misleading.

This is not fair, but who cares about being fair in the USA.

Honesty is such a lonely word - Billy Joel -

It’s probably Waves responsibility to stealthy run Rosetta code on your machine without user notice.

Rosetta is an Apple technology and is installed from Apple servers after MacOS rejects running Waves Central on Apple Silicon. A dialog pops up and asks you if you want to install Rosetta and and if you do, you are required to enter your administrator password. It is not installed stealthy nor is it installed by Waves.

I paid for a “License to use Waves software” but I cannot use it,

You absolutely can use it. The same way thousands of other Waves customers are using it. You’re just unwilling to go through the steps to meet the proper system requirements to do it.

I purchased native plugins that I cannot use unless I run non-native code and Waves refuse any responsibility or misleading.

Again. This is explained in the tech specs which you should be looking at before purchasing to make sure that plugin will work on your system and with your DAW. You also have the option to install the demo before you purchase to make sure it meets your expectations.

This is not fair, but who cares about being fair in the USA.

When you purchase a plugin, right above the confirm button, is All Sales Are Final. Nothing about this is unfair. There were multiple steps in the process where you could have decided not to purchase these plugins.

2 Likes

I’m sure an AARM (M1) Native version will be on its way, its only matter of when. It’s clear they wanted to focus their energies and prioritise what really mattered and that was the plugins themselves.

My electric bike requires fuel to recharge and although it is electric it can only be charged with fuel. It’s well explained in a link behind a link besides another link in small footprint deep inside another link. It’s my fault, sorry.

Honesty is such a lonely word – Billy Joel

Rosetta is an Apple technology and is installed from Apple servers after MacOS rejects running Waves Central on Apple Silicon. A dialog pops up and asks you if you want to install Rosetta and and if you do, you are required to enter your administrator password. It is not installed stealthy nor is it installed by Waves.

False, MacOS does not reject running Waves Central on Apple Silicon without Rosetta installed and it doesn’t show any dialog requiring Rosetta even after completely installing Waves Central. But it stealthy runs Rosetta if installed when you click “Install & Activate” or forces you to install Rosetta if you don’t have it.

You’re just unwilling to go through the steps to meet the proper system requirements to do it.

As you ended up installing Rosetta because you need it for other programs I don’t think your comments are out of place. It was not specified as a “System Requirement” right when I spent SO MUCH money on Waves and I detailed most of the reasons why I cannot install Rosetta into my system. When I purchased Waves plugins, they were advertised as native only, but I cannot use them at all if I do not install Rosetta “like every other user”. I am new to this world, a new customer, using a new platform, and I only bought plugins and instruments running native only, and I trusted Waves and spent a lot of money, because it was fair for me to pay whatever I want use, even more when I can pay for it, even if I only use 1 weekend in a month. I believe in Intellectual Property and hard work, and that’s why I find it so unfair being punished like this when I try to follow the rules and I am treated like “all sales are final” even when the plugins are not activated.

This is explained in the tech specs which you should be looking at before purchasing to make sure that plugin will work on your system

I did read the tech specs as I do my job. I also tried the demo in another system, but as Rosetta was launched stealthy and silent in that one computer, I never realized Waves v14 still requires Rosetta being installed.

When you purchase a plugin, right above the confirm button, is All Sales Are Final.

It’s both unfair, unethical and misleading, and also a master mind time-out rat race due to the “fake” discounts “on-sale” up to 95% when any discount and sale spans through several years in time. I did not know Waves before. I do know Waves now.

And yet it moves - Galileo Galilei

I just noticed that was back in 2021, and for v13, but 2 years later and v14, it seems it was more important to focus on subscriptions.

I still want my money back or a fix anyway.

Waves Central v14.5.2 is now available

Central now requires Rosetta only when installing products that require it.

This means Rosetta will be required only when installing : StudioRack, Cosmos, Key Detector.

All other Waves plugins will not require Rosetta to install them.