SOLVED: Waves plugins very slow to load

I fixed my problem! For my situation all I had to do was disconnect 2 mapped drives that were no longer valid. I had to do it through CMD as administrator, even File Explorer was crashing when I tried to get the right click dialog up on win10. Now my projects are loading with no problem. I am really thankful I found this thread.

1 Like

That you become the technician of waves. Your solution was extremely effective… Thank you for not making me spend days of work with such a ridiculous problem! Thanks

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated. I truly wish Waves would do something about this especially with all of the above testimonies

I have been living with this problem since purchasing the Diamond Collection V12 last August 2021.

-Pro Tools slow starting - always lengthy pause at “Loading Plug-Ins: WaveShell1-AAX 12.7” .

-Opening a project, “Restoring tracks…” each track with Waves Plug-ins took 10-20 seconds to complete.

-Trying to open a preset in a Waves Plug-in took many seconds accompanied by the “spinning wheel of death”

All very annoying but I learned to tolerate it. Hey, like everyone else, I had work to get done!

BUT YOUR SOLUTION FIXED IT ALL!!!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

For Mac users, ajcaracc’s post shows where the folder is that needs to be deleted:
HD\Library\ApplicationSupport\Waves\WavesLocalServer

Wow crazy, thanks. I had a couple of network drives unmapped and now a song loads in 5 seconds compared to a couple of minutes.

I’m a new user of Waves and these are the only plugs I had the issue with and it wasn’t going well.

So, in windows, I suspect it triggers access to those drives, but they are offline causing a timeout waiting for the network, which pauses it. And come to think of it now I had issues in some cases when just creating a new folder, it was a long pause so this would be why.

Glad you found this helpful and this methodology has resolved your issue. All of what you say is to the best of my knowledge correct. True, it’s only with Waves. I have an NAS drive mapped and use it sparingly after backups are performed thus its powered off but mapping is in place for next time. With Waves it has to be disconnected then remapped each and every time to avert this excessive slow load time issue.

Very helpful, amazingly fast, for a little while I thought would need new machine to run them, even though everything else was fine. Could be where we have license on external USB and does a scan for disks on system which cause the freeze. A plug can load pretty much instant now but it was excessive minute.

Works for me! Thank you.

Thanks to you and REV for this!!! I noticed my Pro Tools sessions started taking FOREVER to load after I opened waves central and it updated itself. Came here, found your solution (HD\Library\ApplicationSupport\Waves\WavesLocalServer -Delete Folder). I just put the folder in the trash, without emptying to be safe in case something terrible happened lol, and bam, sessions loading fast again.

I was losing so much productivity because I bounce between so many different sessions throughout the work day. Waves please fix this!!

I had this problem with v13 plugins, and got it to go away by doing a Waves cleanup in Waves Central. After installing v14, the problem came back. Deleting the WavesLocalServer folder fixed the problem.

This problem is super annoying and it cost me lots of time on a recent project just trying to open the sessions but having to waiting over 5 minutes for them to load. The same sessions now open in less than 30 seconds. I was very surprised to see the dates on this thread. This problem has been around for over a year.

I am happy to find a thread where people are having similar issues. I am the next victim. My problem is very similar and maybe it has to do with the WavesLocalServer folder. The only difference is that it is happening to my SoundToys 5 plugins. Pro Tools starts fine (vr. 2021.7) but when loading a session it takes like 6 - 8 min which is way to long…! So after trying to isolate the issue I narrowed it down to my SoundToys 5 plugins. If I try loading any one in a session it take s like 6min, it makes me so mad. Maybe this is tied to waves?? I am gonna give it a shot.

Thanks for your efforts. Do you know if they change the name of the waveslocalserver I can’t find it on mac

not familiar with Macs, possibly in a hidden folder ?

It’s not a folder it’s a service that starts up as soon as you run up anything related to Waves. You can use the Activity Monitor or Task Manager to quiet it, but then their plugins require it to work.

Waves plugins already leveraged a common codebase in the past. This made them easier to maintain and update while keeping the disk footprint low. It seems to me that they nearly upgraded at least part of it to run like a server, my guess is to allow for interoperability between plugins and Cosmos and possibly StudioRack with their new VST support.

Hi I had this issue and tried the delete ‘WavesLocalServer’ folder and it did not work for me. However I noticed that it said one of my devices was disconnected and had it’s own tab. I was able to recover my licences from the “SSD” device to the License Cloud and then reactivate. Hope this helps someone!

I can confirm that on my Mac Mini M1, deleting the waveslocalfolder worked for me. Man, that was frustrating. I’m very thankful for this thread.

1 Like

The trick is to quit the WavesLocalServer before deleting the WavesLocalFolder. Otherwise you may continue to experience issues.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for this!!!
I had Waves Support, Presonus Support (it started after S1-Version 6 Upgrade) on it - nobody could help me. Presonus Guys gave me the tipp to start S1 “run as administrator” - which worked kinda well but disabled drag and drop function of file into songs and projects.
Now I deleted the waves folder as you mentioned and it cleared all my problems:
Songs open in light speed, no “run as administrator” headaches again - all problems solved!!!

1 Like

Wow! Worked for me too. A disconnected mapped drive was the culprit. It was also causing Cubase to start and load project slowly as well. Everything is beautiful now.

1 Like

I have the exact symptoms described, used to take 3s to load a project, now like 20s.

Also a blank project loading first waves plugin takes 20s or so.

But I have 9.92 wave shell, and I find no WavesLocalServer anywhere, not as service either, nor do I find a mapped drive no longer valid.

I had a remote terminal pinned that I removed, but did not fix anything. But that computer is down, if that remains somehow?

I have licenses on a usb stick which is drive W.

I thought it had to do with that daw froze on me, and that left something that needs cleaning up.

Any more ideas?
Thanks.

EDIT: Solved this as well.
I did this legacy install a month ago on this new Windows 11 Pro computer, having used another computer earlier.
Even the at 2018 last Waves Central did not quite work, could not login.
But all has been swell until the other day, when daw starting take 20s to load first Waves plugin, or add 20s to loading any project that usually took 3s or so.

I downloaded latest Waves Central, this works and can login and at least manage licenses if needed, no installs.

Went into Support and Clean Central cache.
Then I started daw again, and projects loaded fast and nicely.

No clue what the problem, really, just happy it works again. Not sure if Waves licenses need to be online at least a month or something, if that was part of it. I’m never having any network up using computer other than install software and updates and such.

I actually had this long load on old daw too, but thought it had to do with that I moved licenses to usb stick, so it would take longer. So I lived with that for a couple of years. What a waste.

And that people at Waves support that always been excellent in my view, had no clue for people above is rather strange, I think.

1 Like