Important Note about **macOS 10.15 Catalina**

Same here Crazy situation !!
I have all my studio set with a center SoundGrid system via 128 madi to my SSL C300 !
Cannot work anymore…

1 Like

Yishai, will you notify people when Soundgrid Studio update for Catalina is available?

Hi @heem111,

Of course - we will send newsletters to all SoundGrid Studio owners, and I will personally notify anyone on this thread who is waiting for it :slight_smile:
Stay safe!

So I have to spend $240 to update my plugins that I purchased just 2 years ago? What a joke. Any other companies would make this joke of an update for free. This isn’t the 90’s, and this is the only company I’ve ever seen do something as stupid as this in the past decade.

Hi @Msebastiancastellanos,

When you purchase a Waves product you get a permanent authorization for the version you purchased and you also get one year of the Waves Update Plan from the date of the license registration.
The Waves Update Plan covers you for any OS or DAW updates, support or additional plugins that may be added to the license. At the end of the one year of Waves Update Plan, you have the option to renew but it’s not necessary to keep using the version you own.

The Waves Update Plan is a platform that enables users to have support and the latest updates supporting platforms that are current and new on the market. Waves invests 100’s of man-hours in order to be able to support as many platforms and third company version updates as possible and the Waves Update Plan allows us to continue this development for our users.

This insures you that when you buy Waves and a new release comes out within the next year you will get it at no additional cost. Some software companies handle this using a grandfather clause of 3 months, saying that if you buy a product and a newer version comes out right away you will get it as well for free. Waves has extended this to one automatic year.

This also was used for the purpose of allowing people to know exactly how much their updates are going to be so they can budget for them. Software is updated so quickly and updates can come out unexpectedly all the time, causing unexpected fees. The Waves Update Plan lets you know your covered for any update that might come out and lets you know exactly when the next update will be and how much it will cost.

As you will see with other plugin companies, they only offer Tech Support through e-mail, or they have limited support of all the major host applications and architectures. Waves leads the way with top line support, wide compatibility, large growing product line, and new free products all for a percentage of the cost of your original purchase.

Yes, companies do this when it comes to robust softwares with big updates, not a compressor that got a visual update. And even then, most software companies these days will at least do a compatibility update that won’t make a plugin obselete after 1-2 years. I have a list of 20 other plugin software companies that I was able to update with catalina compatibility *FOR FREE. Among them is UAD, Fabfilter, Valhalla, Slate Digital, Ableton, and a few other competitors. They also put in 100’s of man hours for updates, but for the purpose of taking care of their existing customers. I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars after I’ve already spent hundreds, if not thousands, on your plugins just in the past couple years just for compatibility. Thanks, but I’ll have to take my business elsewhere since I can’t trust this company’s software to last longer than a year, apparently.

We respect your decision.
I must reiterate that our software works on systems that it is supported on, basically forever. We still have many thousands of users happily using V9 and V10 on the systems they installed on, without needing to renew the update plan after a year or four or five.

Yes, just like any other company. Except theirs get updates like yours for free. Thanks.

Everyone knows that subscription update plans require much work on the part of the vendor to continually convince paying customers that the plan yields value commensurate with the annual expenditure. But, as they say, s**t happens. When unforeseen events cause major slowdowns in global economies, there are ofttimes reactive slowdowns and cutbacks in workforce, and this can result in subscription plans losing value, and not looking like such a great investment anymore. Same thing can happen when the computing platform on which software products rely undergoes a major architectural overhaul, and every product component requires new engineering to keep abreast of those changes. It’s a tough proposition for companies like Waves. They try their best to push additional value into their products, but sometimes is can seem that they fall a little short. It took quite some time for Catalina support to come out, and I’m certain there was some costly development effort put into that. Some business models allow for that level of work to be amortized across a longer period of time, and some models don’t. Waves is a company that needs to see a return on that development expenditure, and that’s why we begrudgingly buy into their update plan, because we know we are not going to be able to work with the latest OS if we don’t bite the bullet and re-up our subscriptions. Meanwhile, outside of any other external influences, Waves is still saddled with doing the work necessary to keep the update plan looking like it’s worth it. It’s a kind of promise they make to us, and it’s unfortunate that it sometimes feels like they aren’t keeping that promise very well. During the course of a subscription year, some updates can come in the form of bug fixes, functional improvements, expansions of existing plugin capabilities, and the addition of new plugins to bundles that are covered under the update plan. Sometimes, all we get is some lipstick on a pig: pretty UI updates, but nothing new under the hood. It’s a balancing act, and it can sometimes feel like the balance is tipping in their favor, not ours. But, like they keep saying, you aren’t ever coerced or forced into paying for the update plan, and the update plan is not required to keep their products running on compatible systems forever. Without the plan, you can continue to use the plugins you bought, so long as they keep working with the hardware and OS hosting them. On the flip-side, with the update plan paid for in advance, it is Waves’ responsibility to live up to their pledge, and give us value for that. They must continue to invest in the improvement of their offerings, as well as continually survey their user community to maintain a broad perspective of what that community is asking for. They must deliver. If they don’t, they will lose customers. As far as I’m concerned, if a year goes by and I don’t see some substantive value adds to the Diamond bundle I purchased, then I simply won’t re-up my update plan. But we still need to give them the opportunity to demonstrate that they’re good for it.

Hey normally when companies STOP supporting their products, THEY STOP SELLING THEM. They discontinue their products and come out with new ones to fully concentrate on them. Oh yeah, you didn’t STOP supporting. You just want us to keep paying for it, right? Digigrid series is still a very expensive gear and I bought it 2 years ago when I was thinking the Catalina won’t be such an issue because there wasn’t one. When other companies do support and you don’t, it’s obvious that people would complaint about it. And I don’t know how you came up with “We respect your decision”… answer, it just made your company look very unprofessional. I have been using Waves in our studio and I believe they have spent more than 10k on WAVES product. I am just a little guitarist so I wanted to have a good value audio interface and decided to buy Digigrid D. That was the most stupid thing I have done in 2018. I had to buy Apogee Duet and finish my work while waiting.

If you would make people spend money on your physical gear, you would probably support them until you make the better one or discontinue the current ones. It’s not I am begging for your mercy or anything. I am just trying to imply the common sense.

If that’s not the case for you, there’s something called “Subscription Plan” just like others do. But I didn’t rent my Digigrid D so it was never applied.

So… I know that you are even disappointed about this whole situation and unsatisfied customers like me. But hey come on! It’s been almost 8 months now.

Although I am also very… Very upset but I will still wait for your new driver because the Digigrid D is really that good and made me satisfied when it was fully working.

Just letting you know. There are way too many people out there not saying things because they don’t know how to express their feelings in english. Also there are many vst companies rising.

Hi @taiji125,

Thanks for your feedback, we are listening and we understand the frustration and outcry.
We are working hard towards this upcoming (very close) release and continuing support for SoundGrid Studio and interfaces under Catalina and future operating systems.

Thanks

1 Like

Supported on Catalina of Course!

2 Likes