Waves V9 plugins incompatible with Mac OS Big Sur?

Hi all,

I tried installing my V9 Waves plugins using the legacy installer and have had no luck. I’m prompted with the following message in Waves Central when attempting to offline install via the legacy installer: “This installer is not supported on your OS.” Has anyone encountered a similar issue and is there a fix that doesn’t require purchasing the upgrade to the latest version? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Thanks,

Daragh

Only V11&V12 are compatible with Big Sur.
You can try V9/V10.
It is not officially supported, but it does not mean it won’t work. It just means it was not tested well enough to call it compatible.
Apple M1 chipsets aren’t supported officially by Waves as yet.

Here’s the official bit…

https://www.waves.com/support/waves-with-apple-m1-processors

Same problem, but not M1…
Macbook 16, big sur.

I have a lot of v9 plugins, and I got also the “os not supported” when I try legacy installer.
ALL of my other plugins work; Slate, NI, Izotope, Valhalla, Soothe…

Is there any way to get this working…?

I’ve got a solution.
Just edit “MacOS” :“10.10” to “MacOS” :“0.0” in a json file which is in
Waves - 24.5.18/Installers/V9/instl/minimum-requirements.json

Then install V9 plugins from Waves Central L.

1 Like

Hi @thomaberg

Welcome to Waves community forum.

With the release of OSX 10.15 Catalina, Apple dropped all support for 32-bit components. Due to this, Waves V9 plugins will not work properly and need to be updated by renewing the Waves Update Plan coverage and updating the license .

Waves V12 plugins are fully supported in Mac Big Sur, as described in our System Requirements .

I hope this information helps.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

So that I understand this correctly: I have to buy an update plan for my already purchased V9 plugins?

Then you can never buy plugins at Waves and plan for the future. I have a bunch of V9 plugins (E-Channel, G-Channel, Greg Wells Signature Bundle, …) that are no longer usable unless I buy the update plan?!
Not very customer friendly, it is money-making. How about: Customers can update their plugins because they have already paid for them? Just a matter of time before that happens with V10, V11, etc. You should really think about a purchase in the future…

1 Like

Found something on how to work around the whole thing: Here’s a guide on what to do to get V9 plugins running. Works up to macOS 12.2.1:
Search for: how to install waves v9 plugin on macOS (you can also find it via soundonsound, it is from denivel.blogspot) and follow the instructions.

Cheers!

I completely agree - This is so annoying ! If you buy a plugin - you should be able to upgrade for free every time in a future proof way ! You pay for a product - you want to use it … You don’t expect it to stop working just because there’s an updated version being released unless there’s a major overhaul of functionality and a boot load of additional features and improvements ! ! I mean - when Apple bring out a new iPhone - you don’t expect your old one to suddenly stop working just because a new updated version / model has been released ! This is poor from Waves and a real reason to look elsewhere for your plugins !

1 Like

That $30 you spent a few years ago doesn’t entitle you to unlimited lifetime worth of free updates.

The fact is every dev charges for updates, they just bundle it with new features so you get both, but pay more for it. Waves updates only work out to be $10-30 per plugin, capping at something like $240. If it were really about the money they’d be asking more for it, there may not even be a cap.

Even then it’s only necessary when the OS or DAW developer screws up compatibility. These updates just happen in response and they’re not cheap to fix. It can’t be done for free, not indefinitely.

U must work for Waves. That $999 I spent a couple years about entitles me to a lifetime of free updates. The updates happen in response to the company wanting people to keep using their product and being their customers in the future. As it stands, I am making plans to never buy anything from Waves again if I am forced to pay for this upgrade … which it looks like I am going to have to do to get my Diamond series running. At the end of the day, business is about the feeling that’s the customer goes home with, not your rhetoric.

Hello my miserable experience with this company is almost over. I just need a working copy of Waves AU Reg Utility1 9.92. I deleted mine trying to follow the instructions on the deneivel thread. I have moved all of the files using the Offline Installer method. I need that file mentioned above so that Logic can see the Waves V9 legacy plugins. (Also side note : if you have V9 plugins, never delete that Utility file … it is the only way to make the files show up again after a mishap)

1 Like

Does anyone have a download to that file ? or a real way to edit an app utility file on a Mac ? when show package contents is not working?

This is definitely the way and not that complicated at all. Thanks a lot!

I’ve spent that much money on iZotope products, it doesn’t entitle me to freeze updates, nor does my investment $1000+ in IK Multimedia, Native instruments and Plugin Alliance. So why should Waves?!?

If I did work for Waves id obviously have “Waves” attached to the end of my name. Instead, I go by my own name as I believe honesty and integrity is important and I have nothing to hide from other users. You can also find me on various websites helping other users with their plugin issues from other developers.

I probably wouldn’t have to sink so much money in other company products if I worked for Waves.

To address your other issue, personally I only have the Waves AU Reg Utility 13 & 14, nothing before then. The last time I had V9 installed wasn’t even on this computer, that would have been a lifetime ago on a 32-bit machine.

So unfortunately I can’t be of help there either.

1 Like

This worked for me! Thank you!