Getting the basics right first: UI Sizing

Would be great to actually update the waves UI to have proper scalability eg in Cubase. The size of the UIs are extremely bloated.
eg Kramer Tape
Its actually a great plug DONT use it until you put it through plugin doctor to get a really good handle on it; well I began using it again after I did that.
BUT
Whilst the tape graphic etc is very nice, it just gets in the way. Any plugin that uses a verbose graphic should also have a terse version with reflow so it fits all the basics into a minimum area.

This should be part of an AB graphic layout so as when automating workflows, they can move and rescale in an overview, or zoom and centre when focused
Once you have just 1 or 2 of these type it fills the screen is full on HD res.The issue is interdepence and often need particular chains to be visible to track interdependence in the signal flow and effect

2 Likes

You’re right to recommend PluginDoctor in regard to understanding the specifics of what a plugin does. Obviously “all that matters is our ears” but when we are dealing with subtleties, our ears can sometimes play tricks on us.

Thanks to PluginDoctor I discovered that a LOT of talk in audio forums about what this or that plugin does or doesn’t do is just wrong. I often hear people say “the analog button just adds noise” in Waves plugins, and maybe there’s one where that’s true but I find often that button is what gets you delicious harmonic distortion.

As far as the UI goes – Kramer Master Tape & J37 would definitely benefit from the ability to hide the tape graphics. Some other companies do that with their tape plugins.

If you were using Reaper I would tell you to hit the UI toggle button. Reaper can optionally replace the graphic UI with sliders, and that slims down the plugin considerably.

I like Kramer Master Tape a lot. I love the simplicity of wrapping Wow & Flutter into a single control. I LOVE what it does to the tonal balance at 7.5 IPS with Bias set to Nominal.

1 Like

I personally am finding 100% a bit small on a 5k monitor these days, but 125% is too much.

What would be really appreciated is a size in between like 110-112%. I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks this. Likewise, I imagine people on laptops think 75% is too small and 100% too big and what they are wanting is something around the 87-90% mark.

1 Like

Agreed with your comments
Cubase lets you do similar with the UI and the remote editor is quite amazing
BUT
I just want to make music…Ive been programming and doing UI/UX most of my life
What matters to me is hanging with peeps making music…no more wasting my time…despite it not being perfect
Cheers

Just variable scaling with reflow or even take plugs to next level by having a standardized UI wrapper so users can define/hide placement etc of widgets…EASILY that is :wink:

Conceptually easy. Their issue is they have a catalog of hundreds of plugins, many of which stem back to the 600x400 CRT (box) style monitors. As we have seen, simply upsizing those graphics just doesn’t really work out well.

What they need to do is reskin them all, but thats alot of plugins to go through. They also have to be careful that it doesn’t break the plugins in older projects too as backwards compatibility is their number one concern.

So on the surface its conceptually easy, but they have to factor alot in and they need to spend more time developing an approach that works without issue across the board.

1 Like

Appreciate what u r saying…coding and ui is part of my day job…i look back at my 22 year old code…when i was noob on a particular plaform and it is a static mess. Over a 2 year period, was able to develop modularity and parametric structuring. That code is still bring used today with very minor updates over the years and is scaleable from day 1…actually have gone back to that job during covid…so its about the skill of the coders…and im no guru
The larger the project, the more critical the scoping…the dsp is obviously modular as they mix and match to keep creating superflous tools in the guise of marketing
All good…it would be if benefit for the plug in shell to conform ti 60/30/10 rule for the whole range and present a common usage ux of
Verbose
Terse
Graphic
Which covers all bases

Just a thought

I recently heard from somewhere relatively reputable that iZotope started as one of those university student/garage setups.

Trash was one of those initial plugins, but the reason why it hasn’t seen an update is it began back in those days when the code wasn’t as modular. It would take a lot of time and energy for them to update the code to today’s standards, because they learned a lot over the time too.

Possibly the reason why they announced they won’t be doing another Trash.

1 Like