COSMOS does not show all samples

Same problem here … I scanned about 60.000 samples on my harddisc … then when reopening Cosmos, it says that the hat library contents is changed (which is not true) and demands updating. I redid this several times … eventually it “accepted” and did not ask for updating anymore.
Now I updated my waves plugins V14 … and now it asked again to update the library contents and I am just fed up with it. Too bad, I would like Cosmos, IF it worked reliably, but it simply does not.
I am using ADSR sample manager instead now, which has no problem to handle ALL my samples, including all Battery samples, Maschine samples and all Logic Pro samples.

2 Likes

Hm well it seems that COSMOS is having this same issue with a large sample folder that has various types of samples in it. I understand that SOME of the samples in this folder I’m trying to scan are not supported, but there are plenty of samples in there that are supported. But it still says 0 samples.

I just got COSMOS yesterday (not for free anymore) so I am feeling a bit slighted. But it is what it is. I will be writing tech support if I can’t get this to find all my samples.

I’d have to have to move back to XO because this does seem really cool, but if I have issues finding half my samples, then I’ll have not much choice.

It looks like it doesn’t handle folders with extremely large numbers of samples very well. Hopefully an update comes out that fixes this. I’m still rooting for this plugin as this is some pretty cutting edge tech.

1 Like

What I have found is that the problem is subfolder depth. There is no way I can get Cosmos to scan my main Loops folder, but I’m having problems with subfolders that have structures of more than two (maybe three) folders of depth. For example, I have a Ghosthack pack that has the following structure:
Ghosthack - Drum Hero 3\Loops\Drum Loops\Section 2 - 90, 128, 140, 150, 172 BPM
Cosmos just can’t read it.
I didn’t read every single message in this thread, apologies if someone has already pointed this out.

1 Like

For those having a constant “Rescan Folder” problems it looks to have been addressed in the latest update. I’ve updated, but I haven’t managed to test it myself.

Hopefully, it fixes the issue for everyone.

EDIT/UPDATE: Strangely enough, Splice (at lest my splace) has a TON of subfolders and things come in fine.

Here is an example of my Splice folder.

C:[MY NAME]\Documents\Splice\Samples\packs\Bad Royale - Sample Pack\Bad_Royale_-_Sample_Pack_Vol.1\Bad_Royale_Drum_Loops

So I don’t know WHY that works but other folders don’t.

I tried moving one of my other sample folders to another drive to see what would happen… but no dice. It still comes up to 0 samples.

I’ll try this. Wow this is gonna take a while and make things messy. Really gonna have to use those collections. … actually… nevermind. Some subfolders or 5 or 6 deep and if I could bulk add multiple folders, that’d be fine, but I have to add them one at a time and can’t even just drag them in…

This is… troubling. Yeah they REALLY have to work on that.

This IS more accurate than XO, but 10 times more work to set up depending on how your samples are set up.

And imagine using this with Splce which has a TON of subfolders.

However, I am impressed that it is able to sort into genre and such.

Tried more tests.

I copied a folder that goes 3 folders deep from another HDD where COSMOS would not scan the sounds to the main C drive where Splice worked… but still no dice. This folder didn’t have more then 1000 samples. Probably not even 500.

I have another folder on the other HDD that scanned everything and it goes 4 or 5 folders deep and has over 2000 samples.

So I don’t know what the criteria is for what it will and will not scan.

I wonder what would happen if I moved EVERYTHING into the Splice folder… I wonder if it’d work then. I’ll move the faulty folder with less than 500 samples into the Splice folder and see if it sees them or if it breaks the entire Splice folder.

2 Likes

Have you managed to find a workable solution. I have even updated to V14 and still doesn’t work for me.

1 Like

Hi @mr.ahollis,

If Cosmos keeps rescanning even after the latest V14 update I suggest you take this over with our Techies who will most probably be able to pinpoint the issue and solve it.:nerd_face:

Yeah, I’m still experiencing folder scanning issues. I see a small improvement, but I hope to get in contact with them soon and report that I’m still experiencing issues.

1 Like

I’m experiencing similar issues - not sure to what extent it’s a bug & how much is user error.

I have a pretty large library, and there are a few subfolders involved.

On bootup, Cosmos works fine. Then I refine search criteria – BPM or loop / oneshot, whatever.

Once I’ve done that, nothing I can do gets me back to showing all files again. Cosmos just shows me a random selection based on no obvious search criteria – just what ever it fancies that day.

Only way to get back to looking at the whole library is to restart.

Also - a feature I’d like to see (and maybe it’s there, just hiding) is to be able to ‘solo’ one folder so if you know something’s in one particular folder but you can’t remember exactly how you named it you can find it more easily. Yes I can switch all the others off, but what a chore!

2 Likes

I’ve already given up on using COSMOS, unfortunately. My initial excitement turned into disappointment.

3 Likes

Same here. It doesn’t show the samples from the folders that I scanned with COSMOS. Ecen the sound effects from Final Cut Pro don’t show after having added the folder. Nice idea, but only if it would work…

2 Likes

I’ve been running into this exact issue as well- very slow to scan, and when it finishes it clearly hasn’t found everything. I use XLN’s XO plugin and it works flawlessly in this regards- currently sticking with that.

One thing Cosmos does better is it works with longer samples pretty well.

The slow to scan, believe it or not, is part of its feature as its using machine learning to identify and categorise the sounds, this also makes them displayable in the galaxy view.

Once it’s analysed it should ideally run fine, except it doesn’t. Well, not for everyone anyway. I’ve interacted several times with tech support over it. It is under investigation, so to speak, their problem is they cant seem to recreate the issues. It works fine on their end, which explains why they released it as is.

You can’t fix a problem you cant see. The more users, the more systems, the more easy it is to expose bugs, its a numbers thing.

Literally won’t add any sample to it whatsoever. ADSR sample manager worked instantly. Yes I’ve read thru all the replies.

To Waves Tech,

Clearly, your sampler has a bug with scanning and locating samples. For this reason your software is not working as it should and is spoiling what could be a fantatsic creative utility.

Please fix it: XO - LoopCloud and ADSR Sample Manager are ALL far more stable with scanning folders and finding samples. Splice used to allow you to upload your own samples but the new version no longer allows you to.

Anyways… My biggest problem COSMOS has is it keeps rescanning folders where there has been no activity (nothing has been added to the folder). In fact, almost every time I open COSMOS, it ibegins rescanning my folders, (which can take up to 3 hours).

For this reason I will not be using COSMOS untill it is fit for purpose. I am very surprised at Waves for releasing a product that is obviously flawed. I expect them to address the issue as a matter of urgency, particularly as COSMOS is no longer free.

1 Like

Hi @justinemanuelboreland,

Cosmos should not rescan for existing folders that were already scanned.

To solve the reported behavior please Contact Technical Support directly and they will be glad to assist with solving this issue.

Hey Adi,

I have contacted technical support and await their response.

I am not sure if you are a robot or a person but your response was far from personable.

Hi Justin,

Glad to hear you contacted support, that is indeed the fastest way to a solution which was my main concern in my response to your message.

Some issues like the one you mentioned, are better left to our fantastic tech team to handle :muscle:, instead of going back and forth with troubleshooting over the Forum or getting inaccurate information, mainly because every setup is different.

Hope you have a great Thursday.

Adi?!? A bot?!?! I’m afraid that task solely belongs to me!! Mwahahahaha!! :smiling_imp:

:flushed:

Ummm… This is a recording???