Clarity Vx Pro Issue (Pro Tools) - CPU Overload

Hello,

This is a great plugin but I am having some trouble with it in Pro Tools (2021.10).

When this one is used inserted on multiple tracks, there are CPU overload.
In a session loaded with other plugins, I can’t use more than two instances of Clarity Pro Vx (on 2 mono tracks) because otherwise Pro Tools stops and says that it doesn’t have enough resources available.
So I did a test in a blank session, I created 10 mono tracks, on each one I inserted Clarity Vx Pro and the CPU was full and I couldn’t play, so I deleted one track, so I had 9 mono tracks left with a clarity, the CPU went back down by half.
I noticed that this plugins only took two slots (24 and 25) of the CPU out of the 48 available.

I am using a macpro 7.1 for this test (2,7 GHz Intel Xeon W 24 cœurs - 64 Go 2933 MHz DDR4 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7)

Here are the screenshots of this test.

Thanks for your answers,
Tanguy

Same here. I’m running it on 3 tracks. If I try 4 my session won’t play back.

Additionally, if i open it in audiosuite, it puts my entire playback out of sync after one or two uses.

Someone helpppp

21 / 5 000

Wyniki tłumaczenia

Tłumaczenie

star_border

It’s the same with me.

Hi @zibiperla, @grayaletter,

The neural network used by Clarity VX and Clarity VX Pro is rather CPU intensive and using many instances of Clarity VX Pro may result in very high CPU usage this will vary with different DAW buffer size settings, and sample rate values.

You can try changing the Double analysis mode which uses substantially more CPU than the Single mode. So if you are using several instances of Clarity in Single mode and you begin switching them to Double, you may encounter CPU spikes.

In addition, you can change the Graphic Display mode at the top-left corner of the plugin to reduce CPU usage - by default, Clarity VX Pro is set to display the Neural Network FFT, which is more CPU intensive. You can reduce CPU usage by using the traditional FFT view or turning the FFT off altogether.

Another thing to try out is increasing the buffer size in case you haven’t already, try raising it up to 1024 if 512 (the minimum we recommend) creates CPU Spikes.

If need further information or assistance please don’t hesitate to Contact Technical Support and they will gladly assist.

Why does Clarity VX not use multiple processors?

Clarity does require ALOT of CPU. Adi makes a few good suggestions to cut down on it a bit. I’d also suggest Freezing the strip to reclaim some of your resources back.

Multiple processors can be a tricky issue. In the past that used to be the domain of the host DAW, but in recent years it’s been possible for plugins to exploit it, but that might be dependant on support in the DAW itself, or even the OS. It also could introduce bigger latency times, but that wouldn’t be an issue with Clarity itself.

You’ve got to also consider that maybe the neural net may not work across threads. It’s one plugin doing one thing, remove anything that isnt a “voice”. It’s hard to delegate something like that.

1 Like

I also faced the same issue on Studio One. It consumes around 50% of resources, so I can’t use it while mixing procedure. I just turn it on when I mixdown.
I asked CS and they said that it’s a given because it’s an AI technology… Therefore, we can’t expect that they fix it.

1 Like

As technology progresses, CPUs get faster, Machine Learning chips become more capable all these processing overheads will eventually come down in time.

That doesn’t help now, however.

Ye, but we purchased it to use it now. Plus, we can’t upgrade CPU every time this kind of issue happens unless you can afford it.

Hi @jin8864y,

Have you tried some of my suggestions to try and decrease the CPU load ?
let us know if those helped?

Hi, Adi.
I just checked my setting. Only one instance is running with single mode and 1024 buffer size. If I increase buffer size more than 1024, the latency issue happens.
I’m sorry, but it’s not a pro version, so I can’t modify the graphic mode. Anyways, this plugin is the most CPU-hungry I’ve ever used.
Thus, I turn it off during the mixing and turn it on when mixdown. It’s kinda hassle.

Agreed. Believe it or not, though, Clarity has already had some CPU optimisations, including the introduction of an “Eco” mode. It is just the nature of AI algorithms to be more resource intensive.

Every time a new tech comes along it is always processor intensive, until they start building computers to catch up with it. It’s always been the way going back generations.

I remember people complaining about the performance of H-Reverb it uses an FIR algorithm, which by definition is a much more CPU intensive over the usual traditional algorithmic reverbs we were already familiar with. People also complained about the performance of the much older restoration plugins, but now everyone can run multiple instances fine. It;'s just the nature of the beast.

In the meantime I’ll either use Logic’s Freeze functionality, or its offline processing and put it in a take folder along with the original, so I always have something to fall back on if I need to revisit the settings.

1 Like