AM radio / Vintage home theatre modeling

Hi, Uri Bar from tech support suggested me to put a copy of my suggestion here, so, here it go!

There is a wide range of sound qualities that are difficult to put a paw on in the modern era.

It would be great if you could bring back the timbre from vintage home apparatus.

Bringing a series of vintage radio elements, jingles, key speeches and events, mic cabinet, 8-track tape simulation, and so on.
Switching between radio stations, on AM radio, was an adventure in itself. It was hard to catch a station, and very hazardous, and often ended up in multiple stations overlapping. I remember as a kid, in the 80s, hearing the baseball games on radio, hearing the crowd acclaim their favorite team, and the commentators describe the game at a very fast pace.

Vintage home sound systems had those cardboard speakers, when we’d hit it with finger, it sounded hollow, and sounded like paper of a bit.

These cardboard cones sounded terrible when they were pierced, which is also a sound that can be simulated I assume.

I found a website that I can’t remember the name where they had archives of a series of ancient AM radio stations, recorded at all sorts of key moments in history, especially the last days of AM radio, where multiple radios did their farewell shows.

I also found a VST at a moment that simulates AM radio but I haven’t managed to make it work yet, not that I tried very hard at all anyways.

It’s a matter of fact that as many models there were, also were an endless spectrum of timbre, where each sound system had a very unique way to pull out noise.

I guess that making a plugin that pays homage to the home theatres of the 80s, 70s, and beyond, would bring back a lot of nostalgia, and would deliver an accurate taste of the ambiance of these years, where it could be used in cinema so to reproduce old stories with a very accurate result.

I personally would really enjoy using accurate AM radio frequencies where I could maybe route a whole bunch of channels to the plugin, if it existed, where it could have multiple sidechain inputs and give each of them a unique band where moving the channel selector would bring all those noises in perspective then get the stations to play the selected live inputs as they’re selected, also having them to overlap.

An atmospheric interference editor could come along where all overlapping events, noise presence and absence, could be managed and put under contingency so to procedurally emulate variating conditions that moves with time, at either slow, or not, cadence.

Users could be invited to recover sound materials from the archive and repatriate it on the AM radio archive website I spoke about.

I bet there are still tons of 8-track tapes all around the globe that could be restored. This truly deserves an archive, and it’s mostly all part of public domain, isn’t it?

It’S such a sad thing that the copyright tyrants are so dramatically holding a grip over the old material that it becomes almost unavailable to the point it could become a total cultural loss.

I remember an old “Outer Limits” episode where a man’s grandpa was a musician, and a good one, and on his death bed, he gave his songs to his grand son, but then he realized that a company of copyright freaks had scanned his brain, yeah, that’s a sci-fi,… And they copy-pasta his songs and talents to a random white man. The protagonist in that episode is black, so is his grand’pa, as it makes sense. The other guy’s making money out of it while his grand’pa was a modest man.

Songs should have the right to live eternally, with credits to their original authors, so I believe that an archive of all the music even the unpopular stuff should exist.

Let the youth make money with new songs, and let them get inspired by the old stuff!

4 Likes