Waves Plugins on Macbook Pro with M1 Processor

Hey! Last update on your blog page was from the 31st of January. So you have no update half a year later? Apple announced the new M1 silicon one year ago. This is taking quite a lot of time, and without any info on the progress… Specially thinking about the drivers and sw not working through Rosetta. It’s frustrating not knowing anything. Can we even expect M1 to be supported during 2021?

2 Likes

I agree it is taking an abnormally long amount of time. The thing I keep thinking of is I don’t think I recall them releasing anything new in the last 6 months either, unless I’m mistaken.

This would suggest to me that its a big undertaking and almost everyone is probably working on it. Again, I could be mistaken, but thats the impression I’m getting. That would be a good thing, though.

I get the impression its not long now.

Still waiting (and holding off buying any new Waves products until you make plugins M1-arm native).

2 Likes

Hello All,

https://www.waves.com/support/waves-with-apple-m1-processors

As of the release of Waves V13 - V13 plugins are fully supported in Apple M1 processors running the following DAWs:

• Logic Pro 10.6.3 (in ARM64 mode)
  • FL Studio 20.8.4.2048
  • Studio One 5.4
  • REAPER 6.35 for ARM
  • Bitwig Studio 4.0.4
  • Garage Band 10.4.4
  • Mainstage 3.5.3
  • Adobe Premiere Pro 2021 15.4.1
  • Adobe Audition 2021
  • Digital Performer 11

Waves plugins load and work in the following DAWs within Apple Rosetta 2:

V13 plugins:

• Pro Tools 2021.7
  • Ableton Live 11
  • Cubase 11.0.40
  • Reason 11

V12 plugins:

• Pro Tools 2020.12
  • Ableton Live 10
  • Reason 11

Exceptions:

• The Waves Central application requires the Rosetta 2 emulator to run, but installs plugins that are supported natively on M1 (on the DAWs listed above). We are working to add native M1 support for Waves Central in the near future.
  • ReWire, H-Reverb, IR-1 plugins:** The ReWire software protocol in these plugins does not work on Apple M1 processors. When running in the Apple Rosetta 2 emulator environment, H-Reverb and IR-1 display graphic issues

The following host applications are not supported on M1 (with or without Rosetta 2):

• SuperRack, eMotion LV1, SoundGrid Studio, SoundGrid QRec, SoundGrid Driver:** Waves SoundGrid applications and drivers do not currently work on M1 processors. We are working to add M1 support to Waves SoundGrid applications in the near future.|

• Final Cut Pro*:** Although Apple has announced that its proprietary DAWs are officially supported natively on M1 processors (without Rosetta 2), we have found that Waves plugins do not load or work properly in Final Cut Pro on M1 processors.||

We will work to provide official M1 support for more host applications as they become M1-compatible. We will update this page with new developments as they are available.

Why is waves so slow to implement updates for new hardware compared to other AoIP companies?, it took them forever to release a 64bit Mac version rendering it useless on new machines, now they are taking forever on M1 machines.

Maybe because they have something crazy like 200 plugins or more to address. I don’t know any other dev who has as many plugins as they do. So of course it will take longer.

But, hey, they leap frogged over Rosetta compatibility and went straight to Native… That put them among the first in that regard.

would I be here complaining if I was talking about plugins, that are already native? no.
I’m not talking about plugins, all my plugins have worked under rosetta since the the M1 got release, so it clearly wasn’t a hard task to convert them (as most audio plugin developers did) I’m talking about the AoIP interface which is much more important to me. being able to interface with Waves cards for Yamaha and Allen and Heath consoles and waves servers that I have paid waves is pretty important. this is the same as when I first bought my server but had to replace my Mac for one that only ran 64 bit, waves took over a year not including the year advance notice that Apple gave the industry that they will need to move away from decades old 32bit. its a joke honestly.

also they were far from first to jump straight to native for plugins. just saying

Oh, I just realised that you may not realise what AoIP is, hence the confusion. It’s their Audio over IP networking interface. in the case of waves its the soundgrid applications. I’m currently resorting in using Dante interface cards as the are M1 native compatible. but my Allen and Heath card supports an extra 64 channels of audio than the Dante card I own, so I’m eager to get back to recording up to 128 channels

Is there any kind of ETA on ReWire for M1? I love Waves Tune, and it of course doesn’t work without ReWire.

Any info is appreciated!

It would be super neat to at least have an ETA for SG SuperRack support on M1. Fancy MacBook Pro is just gathering dust at my venue, Waves is the last to update of all the pro apps I use (DANTE etc.). Support page hasn’t been updated in over a month.

Hi @jbessom and the rest of you in this thread.

I bring good news :slight_smile: and I am happy to say that we are officially supporting M1 with SoundGrid applications.

For more information, please refer to the Apple M1 Support for Waves Plugins page.

In order to set up SoundGrid on M1 system, please refer to the How to set up SoundGrid Apps and Driver on M1 Macs page.

Have a lovely day :partying_face:

1 Like

So, I guess the ETA was “tomorrow”. Lol. Thanks Waves team, much appreciated.

Amazing! Thanks~ :raised_hands::raised_hands:

Can record again on my own hardware :star_struck:

Hey Zac, are you using Pro Tools by chance? I cannot get ProTools open after installing WAVES V13 (Mercury)

I said “among the first”.

There were others to do it to, but not many and I have been keeping track because I also have plugins from other developers.

Hi, I just installed Waves v13 on my new Mac M1 Max, monterey 12.5.1

I see the waves in the VST3 folder, but doesn’t see VST2 folder…

When I open a project made with VST2 Waves plugins, they do not open…

Can VST2 V13 plugins work on Mac M1 ?

Thanks

VST2 has been officially been deprecated for quite some time. It’s unlikely that Waves would have put all that time and money into updating and debugging all those VST2 versions when it was going to be dropped anyway.

Which is not good news for you unfortunately, though I could be wrong.

Even if they did work, going into the future things would be very shaky indeed. You really only have two choices, open it up on another system copy all the plugin settings over to a VST3 instance and resave, or just straight out redo your work. Which could turn out to be less time consuming, depending on how many plugins you would need to copy.