Voice over - what's the best plugin FX order?

I am just getting started in voice over and have a number of Waves plugins used with Reaper. I see a lot of conflicting advice on various YouTube videos. My FX chain at present is EQ hi-pass only, noise gate, de-esser, compressor, EQ to cut a couple of annoying frequencies, EQ to boost a bit of higher “air”, MV2 and finally limiter. Do you think this is generally the right order, or should compression come after EQ? Any advice most welcome. James

The best plugin to use when you need to do a voice over is the first one “voice changer” (it’s the red button). It will distort the original voice but keep the basic form of it. Use the second plugin “reverb” to adjust the voice to the environment (hall, outdoors etc). You can also play with the delay and the pitch to get the desired effect. Visit pro voice actor if you need more information about voice over.

That sounds about right. The thing is there are different ways you can do it. There is no real absolutes when it comes to this.

For example, you could simplify your eq structure into just one plugin and it will work. Not that you have to. Personally I like to do subtractive eq before a compressor, deesser too, and then boost after. But some magic can be had by boosting into a compressor too and some times its necessary to deess after a compressor or use 2, one before and one after.

But the way you’re currently doing it is totally valid too.