Useless update plan solicitation for unused products

So I get an email that tells me my update plan for a product is due to terminate. I click the links and decide to renew, getting charged $37. I see it post to my bank account. A couple of days later, I try to move the advertised second license to my main machine using Central, which just happens to be set to hide earlier versions of the products that I don’t use anymore. No second license is visible and the due date on the plan is still very near in time. I start trading emails with sales who tells me I updated some licenses. NO discussion of version levels. We go around and around in a series of emails but the correspondent never mentions versions. Finally I figure out that the email solicitation link drove me to updating the plans for the old versions! Why would I want to do that if I owned the newer ones?

This stuff, Waves method for license protection, is WAY beyond any overhead I encounter with ANY other vst or daw software I work with. I spend way too much time trying to puzzle through why stuff won’t work and not using it and waiting for support responses.

1 Like

I’m surprised nobody from WAVES has responded to this. They do tend to have a convoluted approach to licensing, upgrading and other administrative chores but they have also been improving in this area slowly but surely. It still takes me a relatively long time to add a single WAVES plugin because REAPER has to process every single WAVES plugin in my library each time I add one. As I recall this started back when they dropped iLok because the software pirates were complaining about the cost of dongles. Anyway, I feel your pain and hope that WAVES looks into improving the way they handle the update plan notifications and associated customer support …