The REASON I Am dropping WAVES

I use a lot of plugins. Waves does have some nice stuff but from a management perspective, they have no idea. It’s archaic to use separate installers, its archaic that I cant install my plug-ins directly to my specific VST folder, its archaic that you cannot put all your Waves plug-ins in one location in my DAW.
Its actually pathetic that you can place them were you want to for your workflow.

I may be no-one in the scope of things, but having this sort of stuff still happening with your plug-ins is truly from another century.

MOVED TO FAB FILTER.

Never will purchase anything from WAVES until they come into the 21st century.

1 Like

Hi @thenodge and Welcome to Waves Forum.

We are sorry to hear you feel this way.
Please note that Waves plugins in V10, V11 and V12 are all installed and licensed via the same online application - Waves Central.

V9 is different, yes, and due to technical limitations needs to be installed using the same application, but using a dedicated offline folder. Learn more about installing V9 here: How to Install Waves V9.92 | Support | Waves

Waves has a huge product line and many plugin DLL’s.
In case you are using a custom folder, you can copy the corresponding WaveShell DLL files from the WaveShell folder found in Wave’s initial folder on your system drive, and place it in your custom folder. Doing so will make your DAW rescan Waves plugins alongside the rest of the DLL’s found in that folder.
That being said, you need to make sure that the correct WaveShell file is being copied and scanned, according to the component (VST / VST3 / AU etc) that is supported with your DAW.

If you do decide to give us a chance - please write so here and a technical support rep will contact you to explain what needs to be done to get everything rolling.

Thanks for the feedback, we are always striving to improve. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, sorry, all you have done is re-iterate my thoughts.

Until Waves moves into the 21st century I am not bothering with your junk.

YOU need to drop the WAVESHELLK rubbish and let people have control over all their setup and workflow.

Agreed. I have several plugin collections - Izotope, AAS, Native Instruments, SoundToys, Melda, etc. None of them do THIS>>>

What a mess! (by the way, this mess is in support of a mere five FX plugins and one synth).

It makes me so angry to know that one plugin company (aka Waves) keeps abusing my carefully structured folder system that I am going to delete Waves from my computer for good, too. C: programs (86), programs, user data, documents, app local/roaming, favorites!!?? Never used the favorites tab in Windows structure tree, juts opened it out of curiosity. Also never set any favorites myself. Guess what’s the only thing inside there? Waves. My system is optimized for audio prduction, hundreds of Win services and bloat stuff are disabled via registry tweaking - and then Waves just places itself everywhere and destroys my way of organizing things. I would sell my licenses but wait, I’d have to pay even for that. Sorry but during the last year or so I learned that I cannot focus on the music when a plugin company decides over my file structure. “A hard drive is not the extension of the soul, it is its core.” (Maybe Schopenhauer) - “Law and Order starts with a consistent file system” (Probably Hemmingway)

Edit: The mouse cursor turning into Waves symbol on project/plugin load is another no-go. The time it takes the host to load Waves plugins is also unacceptable in 2022.

To be honest, I always thought the worse culprit was every other company dumping their files in my Documents folder. That was meant to be used by me for my own personal documents, not as a dumping ground by developers. That’s far worse in my book.

I got so tired of it I stopped using the Documents folder a decade to so back and just left that for the devs. Apple uses its Music folder for other thing s too, so I stopped using that as well. Point is, this in not just a Waves issue, everyone does it, its an epidemic.

You either go crazy trying to force changes one to things that are resistant to change or you learn to live with and work around the BS. Create your own ecosystem that works along side the preordained ones.

I chose the latter. So now stuff like where Waves puts their files isn’t really a bother. Its really the least of my concerns.