Success with Waves Tune in DaVinci Resolve?

Has anyone here been able to make Waves Tune work in DaVinci Resolve / Fairlight?

Hi @MrMark and welcome to the forum!

DaVinci Resolve is not one of our officially supported host applications.
That being said it may load and work, maybe even someone in the community can offer help, but we cannot guide how to set it up, guarantee it will work properly or be able to assist if it doesn’t.

Do you have any other audio host applications you can use Tune on?

Thanks for the welcome. I realize that I am awfully new here to be making waves (was that a pun?), but DaVinci Resolve is where I do my work, so if Waves Tune doesn’t work there, then it’s of no use to me. Or to say it another way, since there are any so many VSTs that DO work in DaVinci Resolve, I’ll just stick with those instead of buying, loading and using a completely different editing environment, and then having to switch back and forth between applications instead of doing everything from one, just so I can use Tune.

A web search suggests that, as of last year, for the free version alone, DaVinci Resolve had twice as many users as Pro Tools. That’s to say nothing of the paid Studio version. I think Waves is missing an opportunity by not supporting such an important editing environment.

Failing that, hopefully someone who managed to figure it out without support will speak up.

-Mark

1 Like

Has anyone had any luck making this work?

Personally I think Resolve has made such a huge impression in the industry, A LOT of people are using it, enthusiast and pros alike.

Blackmagic are one of the most progressive software developers out there in my opinion. It’s been a number of years since I last used it, but I do try to keep up with its progress. They work hard all year round to bring out new features and functionality at such a pace that Apple and Adobe would find it hard to compete.

I think Waves should review their position about supporting it. If they can support Fruity Loops and Reaper then it really should be supporting Resolve as well.

1 Like

That’s kind of what I was thinking. Nonetheless, I bought Waves Tune, and haven’t been able to make it work in DaVinci Resolve. It does load, but there is an error message related to “ReWire”, which from what I can tell is a very old protocol that Reason Studios discontinued in 2020. It’s hard for me to understand why Waves wouldn’t work without a defunct third-party software protocol, but Black Magic Design, being a forward-thinking company, it’s not hard to imagine why they wouldn’t embrace a discontinued protocol.

I don’t know if ReWire is what’s preventing it from working, but if it is, then Waves would probably need to find a more modern alternative before their plug-ins would work in Resolve. Just guessing, though.

Oh yeah… Rewire is from those “good old days”. Apple has their own IAC to replace it, but I never really use it myself as I want things to be as fully recallable and contained as possible. So if it can’t be done in the DAW then I usually don’t do it. With the exception of recording live vocals and instruments.

Waves guarantees 100% backwards compatibility so those with 20 year old sessions can still load up the session and it will still work reliably. There is probably something they could do about Rewire, maybe, but it may just be easier to design a new plugin that won’t be held back by old standards.

I don’t really know, though, I’m just “thinking out loud” really.

Andrew at Sweetwater pointed me at a post in the Black Magic Design forum. Unfortunately, this forum will not allow me to include a link.

There is a link to EnergyXT where they are offering the ReWire VST for €29, which was $34.61 as of this morning. Can’t include that link either. :frowning_face:

I was not aware of Energy XT, but there are some videos on YouTube.

Any thoughts on this? And also, at what point is one no longer “new” in this forum?

Actually, this is new to me, but I think I’ve seen to have found it.

http://energy-xt.com/energyxt.html

Although EnergyXT looks like another DAW in it’s own right, it does do a Rewire VST plugin.

http://energy-xt.com/rewire-vst.html

ReWire VST lets you playback and record Reason just like a VST instruments in energyXT, Maschine, MPC or any other VST host application,

It talks of Reason here, but I’m thinking you can use anything that uses the Rewire “protocol”.

Really, if thats the way it works then you could use ANY DAW that uses Rewire, I think Logic still does. If that’s true though then suddenly your using a different audio application and funnelling the audio into Resolve via Rewire. But here’s the thing, if you were going to do that you might as well just use the IAC built into the Mac OS and do the same thing.

I do admit that none of this would be the solution you would be looking for. Admittedly, these days, the solution where devs are heading towards is more supporting the Ceremony ARA tech. That basically allows plugins like pitch editors to communicate more effectively with the DAW so you could edit and change things around and the plugin will be able to keep track of the changes instead of forcing you to retune everything again. If anything is done between apps its by the IAC, these days. Well on the Mac side anyway.

That makes me think, how are you trying to use Waves Tune, as an audio plugin or a standalone app linked to Resolve??

Nice job on finding that site.

My assumption is that Waves Tune requires ReWire. If that’s true, then I guess I don’t see any point in talking about Apple’s alternative, but in any case, I don’t have a Mac. I don’t have much interest in using anyone’s DAW - I just want to be able to use Waves Tune within DaVinci Resolve/Fairlight. I have a handful of other (free) pitch/tune plug-ins that work fine that way, but Waves Tune does not. I don’t do a whole lot of audio editing, but sometimes it would be nice to be able to do some pitch correction.

My goal is to work within a single application, but just to touch on the idea of using a separate DAW, the more I read about ReWire, the more it seems to be a relic from the past, so even if I were to buy a DAW, it seems uncertain that it would actually work there either. One can search the internet for ReWire and [pick any well-known DAW] and get many pages full of people struggling to make it work in all of those different environments. If Waves can’t work without ReWire, I’m getting the strong sense that it’s a bad choice.

Oh yeah, working inside the one app is usually the best solution for me too. I don’t know why, but for some reason I thought you on a Mac

Considering this case I don’t think the Energy-XT/Rewire-VST will work for you as I believe the solution is for linking different apps together, not for adding Rewire to a system like Resolve.

I’m thinking that Andrew at Sweetwater either misunderstood you’re problem or he misunderstood what that Rewire-VST plugin does.

Which is a shame as it seems that WavesTune won’t be able to work on Resolve. I imagine that Waves might introduce a new pitch plugin at some point in the not too distant future, but that won’t help you now.

Is your WUP still valid?? Have you talked to Waves Tech Support about your issue at all?? Perhaps they have a workable solution for you.

The suggestion to use ReWire came from the Blackmagic Forum. Sadly, this forum returns, “Sorry, new members can’t include links in their posts.” What is the criteria for “new”?

If “WUP” is Waves Update Plan, I don’t know, and I don’t know how to find out. I bought Waves Tune via Sweetwater. I have to believe that they are an authorized dealer, but I don’t know how that relates to WUP. I’m just a guy who naively beleived that if Resolve worked with every free VST that I had tried, that it would also work with Waves Tune. Now, because of the no refund policy on Waves products, I’m stuck with something that doesn’t work.

Just out of curiosity, does it work to reply via email?

I got an icon, but I can’t see any messages in my “email” here. That’s a bit odd.

I just realised I responded to another thread on a similar subject, I didn’t realise you were the one at the centre of that conversation either, so sorry if I ended up being repetitive there.

Usually most Waves plugins do seem to work in Resolve, in my limited experience, WavesTune just happens to be one of those few that don’t. Unfortunately, I just don’t know where to go from here.

Yeah, apparently I’m the only guy who cares about this, so I don’t have a lot of hope for a solution. 'Probably nowhere to go from here, but I do appreciate your interest and conversation!

-Mark

1 Like

I just bought several Waves plugins and they’re working for me in Resolve, Sept 22 on M1 Pro MacBook Pro.

1 Like

The question is, are they officially supporting it. They may run, but if they’re buggy we’d be out of luck with any fixes.

Waves Plugins Now Compatible with DaVinci Resolve.

1 Like

Excellent move. That was a smart decision on Waves’ part.