OVOX input tuning (note trigger in tunings other than A=440 Hz/reference pitch)

It appears that OVOX doesn’t have the ability to change the master input tuning.

For example: if my song is tuned to A=432 Hz, notes triggered are recognized as half a step flat about 50% of the time. This throws everything off.

Consider adding a setting to change input master tuning?
(Otherwise known as reference pitch)

Thanks!

1 Like

If you click on the Synth “cog” in the Main window you will bring up some optional running settings, you can use fine tune to tune it down to accomodate 432 tuning, which should be about -32 cents.

Although, I’m not sure why you’d want to tune to 432, it could sound “out of tune” when played along other songs commercially. But I’m not here to judge.

Yeah, so that doesn’t actually change the input reference pitch, it just changes the output of the synth.
When you look at the notes being triggered on the piano keyboard, it will bounce between on pitch, and a half step flat, even though the notes sung are on key.
This is what throws off the rest what OVOX does to the signal.

Also, about the song sounding “out of tune”: I completely disagree. Within literally the first second of hearing the song begin, the listener immediately adjusts to the key/tuning they’re hearing. The only reason it would sound “out of tune” would be if it were, in fact, out of tune - like a guitar was out of tune, or a vocalist was singing off key.
This “logic” has been perpetuated by institutional inbreeding within commercial music schools, and amongst audio engineers.

Has anyone who holds this theory to be true ever actually tested their theory?

Test:

1. Go listen to 10 straight songs in a row, all in different keys, but tuned to A=440 Hz.
  2. Add an 11th song to your playlist, but use Ableton or something to tune it down 30 cents or so.
  3. Listen and tell me if you don’t immediately tune your own ear automatically to the different reference pitch.

It’s not like we’re playing in different temperaments or microtonal scales, it’s just good old equal temperament with a slightly different reference pitch.

I challenge anyone to do this test objectively and bring your own findings.

One more thing: bump to the original question re: OVOX. :smiley:

To quote myself…

What I said here didn’t really stipulate that a challenge to you or what you are doing is wrong. In fact, I endeavoured to try and provide you an answer as well. I could have been a total snob about it, but I wasn’t. I only raised a relevant question.

Although, now that I think of it, it’s only 8 cycles per second deviation. You can successfully overlay one version with the other and it would just sound a bit thicker, although you may hear some fast modulation. :thinking:

I stand against misinformation of any kind, whether it be audio or politics or religion, but you do realise some motivations behind the use of 432Hz are based on misinformation as well. Again, I’m not here to judge. For all I know your motivation could just simply be a creative exploration one rather than 440Hz being the brainchild of the Nazis and is used today for brainwashing purposes, or something else outlandish like that.

Back to your enquiry…

I think I understand your problem more clearly now. I’ve come up with two things you can try. The first one requires you to go into the expanded view, there you will find a Pitch Tracking (PT) modulator. It’s possible to make an offset there. You may also want to do the same with the Formants (FR). Though, I’m not confident this will work as this may occur at a different point in the signal chain. :unamused:

The other idea, though, is to put a pitch correction plugin on your “tracking source”, tuning it up 8 cents to 440Hz. However, if you use the audio directly you may want to send it to an aux, pitch correct that and then feed that into OVox. So that should help with the note tracking in the display and then you just Tune it back down within Ovox itself.

Hopefully, either of these two suggestions may help… :wink: