Install Waves plugins on USB drive?

I am wondering if I can install Waves plugins to a USB drive, and also keep my licenses there. That way I could have my plugins on the drive if I go to another location.

Thoughts? Thanks.

After a little more thought on this I realized that a DAW on another system would need to point to a specific USB drive for it to find those plugins (rather the WaveShell would have to point there), which wouldnā€™t likely be the case.

So maybe a better option is to copy the Waveshell vst and the Waves plugin files to the USB drive, then dump the plugins to the standard Waves plugin files folder, and the WaveShell to the host vst folder. Then run Waves Central to get the licence.

Thoughts?

Hi There Lahatte,

Waves plug-ins have to be installed to your System Drive - Thatā€™s why Waves Central will not allow you to ā€˜pickā€™ an installation locationā€¦

Copying the WaveShell VST files alone will not do -
In order to use the plug-ins on any other computer, the products will need to be installedā€¦

If you are on-the-go with a USB Drive and want to work with your Waves plug-ins on whatever machine you are on,
I suggest the following:

1. Activate the licenses to a USB Drive.
  2. Create an Offline Installer file for your plug-ins, so you can carry it on your USB Drive.

Let me know if that helps, so I can make further suggestions accordingly.

1 Like

Nice. I didnā€™t know about the installer. Thanks.

1 Like

hi, is there any way to use symbolic links or aliases to move the waves folder from the internal drive unto a external drive such as a usb, my issue is I like to try-compare a dozen or more plugins but I literally ran out of disk space, I have a 256Gb drive, or I should say after a system and basic apps I have a 50GB internal SSD drive and want to install around 15GB of waves demosā€¦

I assume you are on Windows? Iā€™m pretty sure you can do that. I do it for Kontakt sample libraries and it works fine.

Try moving your files to your external drive, then make a ā€˜Junctionā€™ to the folder where you want the dummmy folder to be located (where Waves expects it to be).

The utility called Link Shell Extension makes these easy to create. It adds tools to the Windows files context menu. With the Link Shell Extension installed, right click on the folder containing your files and choose ā€œPick Link Sourceā€. Then in the folder above where the virtual files should be right click and choose ā€œDrop Link Asā€ and pick ā€œJunctionā€. That will create a Junction folder that will act as if it has the files in it.

www dot howtogeek dot com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Man these Waves forum restrictions are absurd. I canā€™t even use the word dummmy???

Hi @arcadias.shop :grinning:

Waves Central installs only to the local HD of the computer there is no way to alter the installation path copy or move it, these will normally cause issues where Waves plugins wonā€™t be available.

Have a good one.