H-Reverb Ducking question

I just bought the H-Reverb, but Im not sure about the ducking function, what it actually does. The manual basically sais that it ‘ducks’, but listening to what it does, Im not sure if it the same as what I learned what ducking is.
For me ducking means that a compressor lowers the volume when a new signal is detected, but when I activate the ducking function of the H-Reverb, I hear the first part of the reverb get significantly louder, like its boosting the input gain.
Anyone who can shine some light on this?

Often times putting a blanket reverb over everything can make it sound muddy or subtract from its overall presence. Especially if you want it at a level that you want it to be “heard”. To get around that some clever dude came up with the idea of “ducking” a reverb.

This works, essentially, by placing a compressor after a reverb. which is set to reduce the reverb level by a fair degree. This compressor gets fed a sidechain signal directly from the audio you’re wanting to process. Now this is the most interesting bit. When the compressor detects sound coming from the source audio it compresses the reverb, effectively turning it down. This happens until it detects no source signal, in which case it releases the reverb which raises its level allowing it to be more audible in the track.

By processing reverb in this way you can have the best of both worlds. You can have a more audible reverb in your track, but won’t fog up the intelligibility of the vocals or the music.

In the case of H-Reverb the compressor is built inland is called a “Ducker”. It’s already set up and ready to go. All you have to do is turn the Thresh(old) knob, to determine how much you want the reverb turned down when a signal is present, and the Recovery knob, which determines how quickly the reverb will swell up when there is no main signal.

Thanks for the input, Simon! Thats indeed what was tought how ducking works, but my question was not about how ducking works, but why the ducking funcion, instead of the described ducking effect, seems to increase the input gain of the reverb

Ah!! Well, I’ll try to have a closer listen to it in a day or two.

But I’m pretty sure it will work the way I described above. Although, they may not use compression, they may use something more transparent, like the ducking feature in Vocal Rider.