Getting the best voiceover ("podcast host") sound

Hi!

I’m struggling to achieve a good, clear voiceover sound.

My setup consists of: The Shure 55SH II, the Behringer XENYX Q802USB and Logic Pro X — with a ton of relevant Waves plugins at the ready (including MM Triple-D, GW Voice Centric, Vocal Rider, NS-1, RVox + the entire Gold package).

The breadth of my efforts: I’ve tried recording my voice with all kinds of different mixer settings (EQ, gain, built-in compressor), all kinds of mic techniques (angles, distances, in a muted walk-in closet) and – naturally – a plethora of plugin combos and settings.

The problem: No matter what I do, the resulting sound is always tinnier than I want it to be – and not that natural sounding. My concern is that, with the 55SH, I have to be superclose to get the full tone, but when I do get that close (an inch or less), the plosives are nuts – even with a popfilter.

My goal: To have a similar sound to Michael Barbaro on “The Daily” or Jon Lovett on “Lovett or Leave It”.

I know the 55SH was not the ideal mic for voiceover/podcast work, but I fell for the cool looks – and I’m still hopeful I can achieve the desired sound. But I’m also very close to buying a MXL 770, since it gets amazing reviews (not least for its price class) and seems more catered to what I’m trying to do.

Any helpful input will be most welcome! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
Mikkel

Not that I want you to spend more money, or push any products on to you, I simply think that you MIGHT find this helpful or relevant.

https://www.waves.com/bundles/content-creator-audio-toolkit#introducing-the-content-creator-audio-toolkit

Also check out their tutorials, there maybe something helpful there, Even some of the videos may have a few tips that may be usefulness for you.

It’s a bit hard making recommendations without hearing the audio. However, if you have enough problems finding a solution. PM me and I’ll sort at a way where you can send me a few samples so I can help come up with a “process” for you that can serve as a good starting point.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response, Simon! :slight_smile:

I watched the webinar on the Content Creator Audio Toolkit, and it did indeed lead me to buying the Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin (the whole GW package in fact!) – and I already had the NS1.

In the mean time, I had a friend (who’s a professional producer) listen to my recordings, and the long and short of it is that the 55SH just might not be right for my voice. I made some tests with the $20 Behringer XM8500 (which I had replaced with the SH55), and we both agree that this mic might simply just be better suited for my voice. (He helped me EQ it, too.)

So, I might just have to sell the 55SH if I’m not even going to use it! :-/

It’s good to hear you were able to get something from the vid and have a mate help you setup and refine your “sound”…

Man, $20 mic?!? It just goes to show that you don’t always need really expensive gear to do a good job!! :flushed:

1 Like

Indeed, I’m very impressed with it! :slight_smile:

I can’t post links as a new member, but for anyone curious who might come across this thread, I recommend the Podcastage review of the XM8500, easily found on YouTube!

1 Like

@mikkel, a few more posts and likes in the forum and you trust level will be bumped up to ‘1’, then you can post links :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay, sounds good — and thanks for posting the video!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since when did you start trusting people @YishaiWaves?!? Or is it just me you generally don’t trust?!? :upside_down_face::grinning:

Dude, I’d let you babysit my kids!
(If you bring a Koala)

2 Likes

Oh they’re endangered, especially now after the big fires. But I could probably kidnap one from a sanctuary. :thinking::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Haha!! How did you find a meme that was so bleedin’ relevant!! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Simon - on a related topic, could I ask your advice on the best order of fx chain for voiceover? I’ve watched loads of YouTube videos, but there seems to be a variety of fx chain orders. I am currently using AKG C214 into a Scarlett 2i2 into Reaper with Waves chain of REQ for hi-pass - C1Gate - Waves De-esser - C1Compressor - REQ 4 to cut a few annoying frequencies - REQ to boost a little bit of ‘air’ - MV2 - and finally a limiter. Do you think the compressor should come after the EQ, before the gate, or is this the right order? Any fx I should cut or add? Many thanks for your help. James

If you haven’t guessed already, the reason why there are several ways to chain your effects together to process an instrument or a vocal is because there is more than one way to skin a cat. There are those that advocate “there are no rules” but I don’t feel that’s entirely accurate… or helpful. :thinking:

Like many other things there are pros and cons to where you position a Compressor within a signal chain. The way it and the eq interact are one thing to consider, as is the way it interacts with a gate.

When I was first mentored, way back when, the engineer had one very simple principle concerning eq. I’ve since adopted it to this day. “Boost what you like, cut what you don’t like”. It makes total sense, right?!? :grinning:

Extending on that, it makes sense to cut what you don’t like before you compress. That way you’re not exaggerating the issues. This is what I see you doing with your Hi-Pass and Deesser. Whereas the Gate is rejecting signal based on dynamics. That all seems like a very sensible setup. In film they generally do the same approach with their ocular grading, which is effectively the visual equivalent to mixing for us. They “correct” before they “enhance” and get all creative. :clapper:

Where to put the gate in relevance to the compressor probably poses more of a dilemma. Since they are threshold based, they can certainly benefit from a more consistent signal so you can set it more reliably. This would suggest maybe putting the compressor before it, like you were thinking. However, the trouble with that since the signal is being compressed it there are less dynamics making it harder for the gate to determine what to keep and what to throw out. If you set the compressor up after the gate its less of an issue, but your signal varies more radically making it difficult to find a “set and forget” position. Either way is a valid approach, they just don’t come without their problems. :flushed:

Subtractive eq before the gate could help to eliminate false triggers, but probably only a tiny bit. A gate with a sidechain eq could probably be more helpful so you can select a consistently dynamic part of the vocal range to have it trigger. In fact a compressor with a sidechain eq can also help. Providing your compressor has a sidechain, that is. For other instances where the gate may be falsely triggering to not triggering, you may have to put a little automation on your track, raising or lowering the threshold automatically.

If you find a compressor or limiter over or under doing things in a particular part, shifting the threshold accordingly may help with that.

Unfortunately, though, there is no “correct answer” in relation to compressor positioning. What I suggest is trying multiple methods, at least at the beginning. Take the same vocal track, process it one way, copy and mute it, try another way and then maybe try even doing a third configuration. Once you’ve ears have had a break, maybe overnight, come back to your attempts, level match them and compare. What works, what doesn’t?? Maybe try too improve on them, then compare again. Do this a few times for a few different songs and see if you can come to a system that works for you.

If you do end up doing this, let us know your results as I’m sure a few of us will be curious to find out. :grinning:

If you have access to Scheps Omni or StudioRack have a close look to see in what order the “pros” decided to do things and how you think they managed to get past the issues with the noise gate threshold, if they even use one.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for your well considered reply. I will “master” as many variations as I can and let you know the results.

2 Likes