WAVES.COM SPECIALS SUPPORT

Getting the best voiceover ("podcast host") sound

Hi!

I’m struggling to achieve a good, clear voiceover sound.

My setup consists of: The Shure 55SH II, the Behringer XENYX Q802USB and Logic Pro X — with a ton of relevant Waves plugins at the ready (including MM Triple-D, GW Voice Centric, Vocal Rider, NS-1, RVox + the entire Gold package).

The breadth of my efforts: I’ve tried recording my voice with all kinds of different mixer settings (EQ, gain, built-in compressor), all kinds of mic techniques (angles, distances, in a muted walk-in closet) and – naturally – a plethora of plugin combos and settings.

The problem: No matter what I do, the resulting sound is always tinnier than I want it to be – and not that natural sounding. My concern is that, with the 55SH, I have to be superclose to get the full tone, but when I do get that close (an inch or less), the plosives are nuts – even with a popfilter.

My goal: To have a similar sound to Michael Barbaro on “The Daily” or Jon Lovett on “Lovett or Leave It”.

I know the 55SH was not the ideal mic for voiceover/podcast work, but I fell for the cool looks – and I’m still hopeful I can achieve the desired sound. But I’m also very close to buying a MXL 770, since it gets amazing reviews (not least for its price class) and seems more catered to what I’m trying to do.

Any helpful input will be most welcome! :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance,
Mikkel

Not that I want you to spend more money, or push any products on to you, I simply think that you MIGHT find this helpful or relevant.

https://www.waves.com/bundles/content-creator-audio-toolkit#introducing-the-content-creator-audio-toolkit

Also check out their tutorials, there maybe something helpful there, Even some of the videos may have a few tips that may be usefulness for you.

It’s a bit hard making recommendations without hearing the audio. However, if you have enough problems finding a solution. PM me and I’ll sort at a way where you can send me a few samples so I can help come up with a “process” for you that can serve as a good starting point.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response, Simon! :slight_smile:

I watched the webinar on the Content Creator Audio Toolkit, and it did indeed lead me to buying the Greg Wells VoiceCentric plugin (the whole GW package in fact!) – and I already had the NS1.

In the mean time, I had a friend (who’s a professional producer) listen to my recordings, and the long and short of it is that the 55SH just might not be right for my voice. I made some tests with the $20 Behringer XM8500 (which I had replaced with the SH55), and we both agree that this mic might simply just be better suited for my voice. (He helped me EQ it, too.)

So, I might just have to sell the 55SH if I’m not even going to use it! :-/

It’s good to hear you were able to get something from the vid and have a mate help you setup and refine your “sound”…

Man, $20 mic?!? It just goes to show that you don’t always need really expensive gear to do a good job!! :flushed:

1 Like

Indeed, I’m very impressed with it! :slight_smile:

I can’t post links as a new member, but for anyone curious who might come across this thread, I recommend the Podcastage review of the XM8500, easily found on YouTube!

1 Like

@mikkel, a few more posts and likes in the forum and you trust level will be bumped up to ‘1’, then you can post links :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, sounds good — and thanks for posting the video!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since when did you start trusting people @Yishai-Waves?!? Or is it just me you generally don’t trust?!? :upside_down_face::grinning:

Dude, I’d let you babysit my kids!
(If you bring a Koala)

1 Like

Oh they’re endangered, especially now after the big fires. But I could probably kidnap one from a sanctuary. :thinking::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Haha!! How did you find a meme that was so bleedin’ relevant!! :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Copyright © 2019 Waves Audio Ltd. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy