CLA EPIC power hog

Is it just me or does anyone else have a huge power spike on the performance meter when loading instances of EPIC? No other plugins do this but when trying to use this in the same way CLA does his reverb/delay, i need to put them on each track where i want the possibilty of automating. As soon as i have like 3 instances of EPIC i start popping due to overloading my cpu.
Apart from upgrading my specs or stuff like that is there anything waves can do to lower the usage??

thankls

There is A LOT of stuff going on under the hood with Epic, not to mention any oversampling that might be going on.

It’s not really the kind of plugin you want on every track, just maybe one or two on the whole mix. I actually think thats what CLA does with the real deal. Between the 4 reverbs and 4 delays and configuration possibilities he has enough there to use on the who mix. In actual fact he probably has 4 sends to use between them, not just one.

That said, I do feel that disabling the modules should offload the CPU, as opposed to bypassing them where you would want them on standby for automation. I did post some feedback to them a while back, unfortunately it seems that nothing has come of it.

You could always post some feedback yourself. The more people, the better as they will more likely to consider these kind of CPU optimisations.

indeed, thanks for the response. I shall have a mess around with it this week to see what can be done and will psot back here!

1 Like

It would be very usefull if EPIC was split into 8 smaller effect plugins.
That way you could set up 8 individual send returns and use them just like CLA uses his real gear in the studio.

Another way is to have 8ins and 8 outs to a single instance of EPIC. In Reaper its doable, where you can have up to 64in and 64 outs to a plugin, just like you have 4ins/2outs at a compressor that has an external sidechain option.

I was a big advocate of EPIC when it was advertised, bought it when it came out but bumped into this limitation.
I tried duplicating 8 instances of EPIC, one for every effect buy x8 the CPU was too much for me.

At the moment I have 8 different effects, 4 delays 4 reverbs, routed the same way as EPIC and it works great! Months ago I even found the Space Station in plugin format. Now thats what I call epic!

I thought the same thing. It doesn’t really fit in with my workflow in its current form.

It seems that I already had a similar routing methodology going on which I have been doing for a number of years. I just mix and match my reverbs delays and set my times a bit differently to CLA.

Seperate modules would definitely suit me better. It’s not as if I can disable what I don’t need to save on DSP either.

The Space Station is definitely a good unit, for all its interment flaws. But its those flaws that gives us that classic analogue character. You could possibly achieve the same thing with multi-tap delay that does the feedback/diffusion thing to create pseudo reverb tails.

I haven’t tried it but Unfiltered Audio Sandman or Byome could probably achieve something similar, Logic has Delay Designer. Even so, if its character you want the real thing is definitely the way to go.

Thinking about it, I think Bob Clearmountain has one of these and he was basically Chris Lorde Alge’s mentor. So if CLA ended up with the same mixing console there’s a good chance that he uses more of the same gear as well, like the Space Station. Perhaps, its one of the delays in Epic?!?.. Perhaps

Crowd delay is supposed to be Space Station. When I figured out that I could not use Epic in my workflow I found Impulse Responses of the Space Station to use. Then Space Station UM282 came out by Audiority. Its really good!

1 Like

Actually, I have come across it myself quite recently. I don’t have it, resisting the urge to buy. Too many plugins including one or two that’ll do a multi-tap delay/diffusion reverb kind of thing.

Actually, Waves needs to something like this. Clearly they’ve already done some analysing of it. It would seem like it would be a smart move to finish it and sell it as its own plugin.

Are you from Waves then?

No, sadly… Although I sometimes they think they should pay me!!

The same can be said for a few other developers, however, since I help out other users online with issues concerning their plugins too.

I’m actually from Australia, we don’t really have much in the way of plugin developers here. Our former government kind of made it almost impossible and an undesirable business choice for many. We have new government though, they seem to have better attitude about it. Here’s hoping.