Waves Tune Real-Time: Use MIDI to set key (Scale Root)

I have a much needed feature for Waves Tune Real-Time. We are using it to correct pitch in a live situation and I need to be able to change the key or “Scale Root” as it’s called in the UI. The “MIDI INPUT / KEYBOARD” section allows me to play a reference note or set the target pitch of each note. I’m not sure how I’d use either one of these in a live situation, since I’m obviously not going to be playing every note that the vocalist is singing. However, I REALLY NEED to be able to change the key or “Scale Root” with a keyboard. What are the chances that this could be implemented sometime soon?

Thanks!

Jeff

2 Likes

Hi @jeffpercival,

This can’t be done directly using MIDI, however, those settings are automatable, so they can be controlled using your DAW’s MIDI capability.

Using clips or snapshot changes.

What DAW are you working with?

I’m using Cubase 10.5.x. But I’m using it to mix a live environment for Broadcast. But in my opinion, it doesn’t matter what environment. The number one parameter change I need to be able to change in a Real-Time situation is to set the scale root or key. It’s strange to me that the plugin would provide the ability to set the target pitch of a single note or play a reference pitch, but not allow me to change the key. I’m not sure how or why you would use the functions that are provided for a MIDI keyboard in a Real-Time situation, but the ability to change the key is indispensable. Can this function be added to the feature requests?

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi @jeffpercival,

The request is noted and will be evaluated :slight_smile:

That said, the Target Pitch and Reference Tone are also depending on the MIDI behavior and capability of the DAW, to receive the MIDI notes.

The Root and Scale are automatable- meaning that they are visible to the DAW and can be altered via the DAW’s automation options.

If you can control the automation live with a MIDI controller, then it could all come together.

I also suggest viewing our live applications:

Both could change Waves Tune Real-Time’s Root and Scale using premade snapshots.

The snapshots could be triggered with a Touchscreen, Mouse, Mackie controller (in LV1), or MIDI (in SuperRack).

Thank You!! If this functionality is added it would make my world considerably easier…and I think for anyone who’s using this plugin in a live context.

Thanks again!!

Jeff

1 Like

Hi,

I’d just like to add my +1 to this request as it’s something I’ve been looking to do.
I use Logic Pro X as a DAW for my live broadcast of music, which is then fed into the video system, but we use Waves RealTune for Vocal Tuning. Currently we use it in chromatic mode but everyone says it’s so much better when you set a specific scale and key (relevant to the song key of course).

However, when you have multiple singers, all with this plugin, you either need to get all instances to follow the change on the lead vocalist’s plugin, or you need to automate it via a midi controller, like an Elgato Stream Deck.

I’ve not been able to find a way to do either of these, but it’s a feature which I’m sure would be highly useful! Especially for those of us who don’t use SuperRack or LV1 (both of which are awesome but out of my budget).

So can I set the key of an instance in my DAW (Ableton) from a MIDI track?

“The Root and Scale are automatable- meaning that they are visible to the DAW and can be altered via the DAW’s automation options.”

*** Update *** this seems quite possible actually :blush: I created a track in the DAW (Ableton), inserted the Tune plug in and then MIDI mapped it’s Scale root to an automation lane. Then by drawing in the automation for each song, the plug in changes to the correct key. I’m very impressed with this Waves thingy and will be purchasing it and looking at their other offerings.

1 Like

Definitely possible, but for recording, I strongly prefer WaveTune (NOT Real-Time). It can listen to your song once, then give you an editable piano role to really fine-tune the performance. What I’m hoping for for the Real-Time version of the plugin is to be able to change the root-key of all instances of the plugin that are in a session by simply playing a note on an external MIDI keyboard. Straight forward, easy to accomplish functionality.

2 Likes

Thats a great idea, man. You should make it a feature request.

I can also confirm that "Scale Root” is there parameter that would let you change the root note of your scale and “Scale Type” is how you select what kind of scale it is, whether it be Major or “Natural Minor” or whatever. Well, at least thats how the parameters show up in Logic.

If you don’t know the exact scale you need you can always select “User Scale” as your scale type and enter the notes manually.

Seems like basic functionality that is missing. i have noted it for years.

Just allowing program changes to switch presets would be huge.

1 Like

I love the price and functionality of Waves Tune, but the autokey plugin for antares auto tune pro makes it SO much easier to use for our broadcasts. We have up to 6 vocalists, and its a PAIN changing key on each individual plugin between every song. Our volunteers nearly always miss a vocalist at some point too - please create an autokey equivalent for waves tune. I would pay full plugin price for it I’d value it that much! (Saves me getting antares auto tune pro subscription each month)

1 Like

+1 to this! I’d really like to do this as well. Has any one figured out how you might do this in Pro Tools?

We use a Cymatic LP-16 to do backing tracks and midi automation of several things. Would be great to automate setting the key and scale of Waves Tune Real Time!

Looks like @patrick.randall figured it out in Ableton? I’m not sure how (if possible) to midi map plugin settings to automation lanes in Pro Tools.

I’ve done a good bit of searching online with no luck so far.

Ideally I’d love to be able to control key/scale using PC or CC messages.

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight!

I have this functionality in Cubase. I use markers with preset automation to create “scenes” that change the key of the tuners. Then during broadcast, the mix engineer scrolls through the marker list to make sure the right key is selected per song.

It works but it’s a pain in the backside. The functionality that is requested in this thread would be make life SO much easier.

1 Like

Yeah that’s something you can achieve with simple automation settings and markers.

You could jump to each marker using a numeric key in Logic. Or alternatively save these automation settings in their regions and place them within the Loop Grid cells. You could then line up all your settings, a song per scene and click on each one as you go.

I’m sure other DAWs would have similar ways to achieve this.

I use waves tune real-time in super rack for live use. I called support way back in March 2020 asking for MIDI control of the key. I guess they don’t think it’s needed or it’s too difficult to implement. Maybe it would be easier implement a global “scale/key” similar to how they support a global tap tempo. Then all tune instances could follow it.

1 Like

Please add this feature. It makes it so much easier to just send a mdii note and have the key change, rather than set up multiple snapshots. Doesn’t work for most situations. This should be something simple to implement. I’m using Superrack and 4 instances of Waves Tune. From a group of 16 Ihave 4 singers on at a time, with multiple key changes. Setting up snapshots for each person in each would be insane to perform live.

2 Likes

Or at least add Global Key to Superrack, and make an option for the Waves Tune to follow the key.

1 Like

Same over here,
I can’t understand why this crucial feature is not implemented.
Please add this soon.

+1 for adding Global Key to Superrack. That would be a game changer. I currently have assigned plugin bypass and view plugin shortcuts to the user keys function in Superrack, then have those mapped to my Akai midi controller.
Having one global key, similar to tempo, would be perfection!

+1 for the same thing! Lots of live broadcasts that need this feature, otherwise we have to stick with Antares Auto Key…