WAVES.COM SPECIALS SUPPORT

Soundgrid Driver on Linux computer

I know this might be a long shot, but I was wondering what the possibility of implementing the SG driver in Linux. I am attempting to build a standalone VST box that is able to interface with the soundgrid eco-system. I am currently using a Raspberry Pi 4 as the VST device, a windows computer running soundgrid studio 11, and a Digigrid-D as my main audio interface. While the form factor of the RPi4 is great for what I’m envisioning, the soundcard is absolutely terrible, and I would love to be able to get that device off of my interface and to make space for other hardware synths. Please let me know if this project sounds like something the Waves team would be able to undertake. Expanding compatibility will absolutely make soundgrid a more appealing option for artists and producers. I have experience with linux and programming, and am able and willing to perform tests, and give feedback to help make it a polished implementation.

1 Like

Hi @fortycentface,

Only qualified interfaces and servers, purchased from our website or a certified dealer, are Officially Supported by us.

That said, you can feel free to send projects ideas such as this, using the form at the bottom of the Contact Us page.

Please address it to Comments, Suggestions, so it will reach the relevant personnel.

:slight_smile:

@fortycentface The SoudGrid protocol is realized as a service, that is to say it’s much more than a driver. Also, it’s natively implemented in Linux in DigiGrid hardware. The code is open source: https://www.waves.com/legal/soundgrid-server-open-source-code.

Realtime software is difficult to implement on random hardware, thus ARM would require it’s own set of validation, which is why the official channels from Wave cannot be expected to support anything except their product line, as Omry has suggested.

If you really want to make a go at creating an SG server, or even as you’ve indicated a simple streaming interface to the SG network, search Google for “soundgrid open sourcecode” and you’ll find several others that are trying to pursue similar efforts.

It would be really cool for Waves to compile SG for generalized Linux environments. Seeing how Waves plug-ins require a license to run in SG, creating a stand-alone Linux distro for people who want to host these plug-ins in their own box would open up the arena for potential additional customers.

I personally buy the DigiGrid interfaces because of the other features such as their integrated I/O which is far superior to most of the consumer level competition.

Copyright © 2019 Waves Audio Ltd. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy