IDR Dither for L1 and L2

Hi, Everybody!
I don’t know this question should be asked here. But I need for someone’s assistance.
I have a question about Maximizer L1, L2.

When should I activate IDR, Dither option?
I know it’s better to use dither when I bounce with16bit or lower in the mastering. (I work on 24bit processing in Logic Pro X). So in this case I would select 16 Bits on Quantize section of L1 or L2. Because It’s re-quantized.

But would it be better when I’m supposed to bounce at 24bit?

On the manual of L2, Looking at P.4 and P.10, there are meaningful sentences.

“all internal limiting and gains calculated with 48-bit fixed precision. Dithering back to 24-bit output is now possible…”

“There is actually no reason to turn dither Off in normal use. The singular reason would be to provide a 24bit transparent (perfect clone) output from the input…”

Having read those, now I’m confused.
It means L1 and L2 is always working with 48-bit,
so even when I choose 24bits on quantize section and I’m supposed to bounce with 24bit, is it better to chose Dither Type1 or Type2 or not? Because of 48bit processing on L1 and L2?

Please Let me know answer.

Hi @hiroki.kawaguchi312,

Welcome to the Waves Forum.

Type1 is the recommended choice for use with 20 and 16-bit file processing.

Type 2 uses a very similar diether but the dither is of a unique kind designed to minimize the amount of noise added, thereby giving a lower noise level than the IDR type1 process, but at the expense of some low-level distortion.

So the main difference will be between the ultimate in low distortion of type 1 or the additional reduction in the dither level of type 2. Eventually, as always it’s just a matter of testing which one works best for you.

Please note that conversion and dithering are two different processes.
If you choose diether off the conversion will occur but there will be no dithering.

1 Like

@Adi.Waves

Thank you for replying.
I understand I don’t use the IDR when I bounce the file with 24bit.

Helpful tips, man.

Something else you can do is bounce several final versions out using the different dither settings and then compare, at least as an initial experiment. The changes will be very, very subtle, but it helps to load them back into a DAW so you can compare them side by side.

One version might sound slightly better to you than another, so that is the one you go with. Though this may change with different genres. If you can’t hear the difference, then I guess your choice won’t matter ultimately.

1 Like

@simon.a.billington
Thanks, I’ll try it next time.

1 Like