First instinct go to Delay on vocals?

Mine is Super Tap 2, maybe it would sound old and boring to some, but I find it so useful for so many years I didn’t even bother to look for an alternative.

3 Likes

For those who want total control over the delay and it’s returns, there is nothing like SuperTap! You can shape and pan anything anywhere with it. It’s one of my very favorite plugins and has been for over a decade.

That being said I find H-Delay the most straightforward, easy to master delay in Waves arsenal.

But… you need to check this guy out. It just sounds soooo good with just a few adjustments on just about anything!

3 Likes

Oh nice, I love distortion it always adds a great flavor on the overall feel but never tried it on vocal delays, I’m gonna try that on my next mix, should be cool:)
Thanks for sharing this @YishaiWaves !

2 Likes

True, This is the only plugin that comes to my mind when I need Delay. It is really awesome.

2 Likes

Abbey Road’s J37 tape offers real analog flavors. Slap, Feedback and Ping-Pong delay types.
It can used either on directly on the audio source (insert mode) or 100% wet in send/return configuration.

1 Like

Interesting choice, Is it your first choice or special occasion kind of plugin ?

1 Like

I’m getting a nice vintage echo tone from the kramer tape.

Very easy to use (only 3 controls for the echo section) , easy on cpu, and sounds great every time.

2 Likes

I don’t have any particular favs, but H-Delay is among those I would use for the task. As is Manny’s Delay, bx_delay 2500 and Unfiltered Audio’s Instant Delay.

@YishaiWaves, please don’t break my knee caps for mentioning other products. :flushed:

2 Likes

@simon.a.billington how do you decide which will suit you best on specific material?

Well largely what color of underwear I’m wearing that day… :upside_down_face:

Instant Delay is quite basic, so I’ll use it if I want something quick or gritty. It also has a resonant filter feature that makes it unique.

H-Delay is almost as quick and does digital and tape. Sometimes I use it in Duo Mono so I can select different algorithms (Analog) settings for left and right. That can help to add width as with different modulation settings.

Manny Marroquins Delay I haven’t used much, but it has a reverb built in which makes it easy to setup if you want a little tail on your delays.

bx_2500 has quite a few features, so I tend to pull that out if I need a bit of a Swiss Army knife. It doesn’t have a reverb though, but that’s what Manny’s Delay is for right.

Sometimes I haven’t used something for a while it I’ve been using a plugin too much lately, I’ll jusr switch things up. Keep the sound fresh, try new things, keep learning, growing, evolving. I don’t like being static for too long.

Man your censorship is killing my Aussie lingo here!! I had to change a few words just so it didn’t like I was swearing my head off!! :rofl:

I was Mixing a Progressive Rock song and Tried the Abby Roads Chambers Steed Tape delay on the vocals . Along with the Delay it Also adds good Character to the Sound. On vocal i felt the Lower Mids bit more fuller after the Delay.
Have started Loving it and it has sought of become my first choice. Very different sounding to the other delays ive heard !!

2 Likes

Yepp H-Delay all the way, definitely a plugin with a tone to it.

Wow! too much options, now my head is spinning. I knew I shouldn’t bring that up, now I’m lost in indefinite echo feedback Hahaha.

1 Like

Hard to tell what’s the best use for each scenario, but the most obvious choice for me is H-Delay…super easy and quick to use, throw in some filtering, modulation…maybe some automation on the feedback to go above %100 gives you a bit of that psychedelic rock flavor…I like it when I’m producing and I’m looking for a great sound, fast, without losing myself in details.
J37 is also great but can’t say it’s the the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Delay. ■■■■ useful is a lot of cases though.

My first go to is H-Delay but J37 is also a lot in use though :wink:

3 Likes

Hi. H-Delay or NI Replika are my go-to’s when it comes to delay’s.
If none of those, I’ll mostly use whatever comes to mind at that particular time.
All the best.

1 Like

Definitely the H-Delay!
There’s usually 2-3 instances of the plugin with different delay times, for different tracks.
But especially for Vocals, I’d sometimes add an instance of Renaissance Compressor right after the H-Delay, with the main vocal track as the side-chain input. This kinda helps the the delay sit quite nicely behind the vocals in the mix. Attack and release - set to taste \ groove of the song.
(This works pretty well with SmackAttack too).

2 Likes

Oh and also - CLA Vocals! The delay effect in this plugin is Sweet and simple! Just set & forget. :slight_smile: ‘Slap’ mode works pretty well.

2 Likes

Recently also tried J37 on Vocals in last mixing project, it works pretty well and certainly suited my needs. Great saturation output with great delay as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d have to say there was some special about the saturation on Manny’s Delay. I think I’d have a hard time trying to reproduce it if I had to.

2 Likes