"Analog" in H-Delay is NOT "just noise", it shapes harmonics!

On another forum I heard someone dismiss the analog knob in H-Delay as being just noise. I knew already from my ears that it was more than that, but I needed to prove it.

So I ran it through a spectrum viewer. You can see it in PAZ-Frequency but I ended up using a 3rd party tool which is much higher resolution.

What I discovered is – H-Delay is adding significant harmonics to signals that pass through. “Analog” has 5 settings: Off plus 4 variations. Even when “off”, it’s doing a lot… but the other 4 settings lets you shape the generation of harmonics.

Run a 100hz sine wav through to see this on a spectrum viewer!

So anyone who loves this incredible delay plugin like I do — I suggest looking at what it does through a high res spectrum view so you can add eyes to your ears and get a better understanding of what’s happening.

Also, the LoFi button is a lowpass filter that starts at 5khz and completely cuts off by 8.5khz. That, too, is a useful button.

This has always been my #1 goto delay plugin, but discovering the harmonic shaping of the 5 analog settings makes me even happier with it. You get 5 flavors of analog-style delay with H-Delay, and that’s awesome.

PS. Running pink noise and sine waves through your plugins, with a detailed spectrum view is a great way to actually understand what your plugins are doing. Once you see what’s happening, it helps clue your ear in on the various subtleties so you notice them even if you didn’t before…

And remember – subtleties are important. If you have a subtle difference on every track, and those subtle difference add up across 20-40 tragic — you’re talking about a massive difference in sound by time it’s summed on your master bus.

The difference can be as significant as digital/cold/sterile versus warm/saturated/full-of-life.

A sine wave or pink noise passed through a plugin with a detailed spectrum view can help you better understand those subtleties so they can be applied across your entire mix to add up to significant character.

2 Likes

Yeah you’re right. There’s just a some ambiguity with their choice to label the control “Analog” just as they do on their other plugins. Except instead of Noise this pretty much allows you two select “emulation type”. Two early analog units, two tape I believe.

H-Comp also follows suit with this control allowing you to chose between compressor types. I’m pretty sure setting 1 gives you something close to the API and 3 gives you the Neve V-Comp, at least I’m pretty sure.

I haven’t figured out what the other modes are loosely based after, though. At a guess 2 may be the SSL and 4 might be the Fairchild or the CLA-2A

2 Likes

Oh, very interesting!

@simon.a.billington – you’re super knowledgeable about Waves products. Do you know if there are any Waves compressors that offer auto-gain besides the ones in the SSL Channel? (And I don’t mean RVox, I know about that one.)

I find autogain to be very useful when dialing in the right amount of compression, sometimes, because you can hear the change instantly.

The API 2500 is the only one I’m aware of. I believe it’s on by default, its the little red button beneath the Output dial. It’s possible the MaxxVolume might, thats another clever tool for levels that are tough to control. However, I suspect not.

You’re right though. Autogain can be really useful. I’m always going to and fro from the threshold to the makeup control. I’m surprised not enough compressors offer this.

1 Like

Oh thanks! I have the API 2500 but haven’t fully explored it yet. I will go further with it!

1 Like