F6 filter type options: current one doesnt null

I couldn’t really find a direct search for solutions etc
I love the F6 and so much about it…become 1st pos in channel strip
BUT
1 thing that is a real shame is that it doesnt null so I can’t use it for split bands etc

PLEASE add filter type options like natural/min phase/linear phase for especially the LP/HP although all the bands really need it; this would help it compete with FAB products which already have this.

I already own so many waves plugs so please dont suggest linear phase multi etc
I just want 1 plug i get to know really well and keeping using…

Cheers and apologies if this has already been addressed

Hi @Aurasphere,

Thanks for your input, I will forward your features request to the relevant personnel.

We appreciate your feedback.

Have a great day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t found that be too much of a limitation with most “crossover type” plugins. The reason is that I tend to park the crossover points in a place where a little phase cancellation sounds good. Usually its in the pots that can do with a little bit of subtractive eq.

In the context F6 you just “split your bands” in the place where it sonically sounds good and works in your favour.

Thanks Simon
Hmm…a free product like QRange does it beautifully. Linear/min phase etc…Im just working around using that at the momnet.
Its such a good eq I encourage you to try it and possibly donate…the author deserves it…I really mean its GOOD

Adding phase smear should be a choice though…dint you think?

Possibly…

It does become a matter of how much latency will it introduce though. As F6 is also created for live use, they are limited by having to keep the latency numbers as low as possible.

Outside that, it could be a good idea.

I understand latency implications eg live use but many of the other plugs are leading the way now and they have both choices
Eg fabfilter
Tdr nova etc

Ive just about migrated fully to nova now after having a month long struggle with waves and getting my licenses after 2 machine crashes
F6 feels better on the ui but nova has oversampling and upward compression, spectrum matching as part of tge system shell but lacks mid/side (only 1 or other)

Yeah but in the case of Fabfilter, you wouldn’t be able to use it live unless you changed it to something like Minimal-Phase and you’re back with the same issue.

The better algorithms require more data to base their calculations on, but more data means bigger buffers. Bigger buffers means bigger latencies, which you could get away in a mix or master session but in a live music or recording session. I know I certainly cant track with larger I/O buffer settings. I don’t even like being at 256, but my computer’s getting a bit old and I’ll be stuck there until get a new machine.

It’s all about compromises. Fabfilter sticks several algorithms in the one plugin and the user can switch between them depending on their needs. Waves could honestly afford to do a bit more of that, and give people control over the oversampling. But there is definitely a reason why they choose low latency algorithms in some situations, but in other situations like their Abbey Road plugins they chose to go with quality over latency. So you probably wouldn’t want to use them live.

Yep.agree…but im mainly interested.in studio
Be interesting to know live vs studio use :slight_smile:

1 Like