eMotion LV1 in the Studio...Awesome!

I am loving using LV1/64 in my home studio setup! V11 is working fantastically!

I don’t have a giant setup, but I am running two (2) IOX’s , Q, Extreme server and Mercury+. Host machine (win10) and DAW (win10 Cubase)

I run LV1 on it’s own Host machine. That way, all the channel renames don’t mess with my Cubase recording template, and none of that overhead is on my DAW.

I send studio cues through LV1 and use MyMon now for mixing IEM.

I also have my Main studio speakers and HD800S Headphones being fed by LV1 matrix . DAW mains go right into LV1, then out to the speakers. It also allows me to mix in anything else I want. Again, all my processing then stays on extreme server.

In the tracking/jam studio, I have LV1 setup with 1 touch screen monitor. In my control room, I remote into the LV1 Host machine with Remote Utilites Viewer. This lets me control LV1, and walk into the tracking room and still be able to sit down and work on my touch monitor, without having to log in. That was a frustration with using Windows RDP.

I like having LV1 much better than the little 8Channel ST Mixer in SoundGrid Studio. Same concept, only I have 64 channels now.

For simplicity, I bought 2 copies of Mercury, so I have it on my computer as well as my LV1 rig. Not everything i do requires low latency, so it is a convenience thing.

Anyway, I am sure others are using LV1 in the studio. I am curious to hear how you setup and maybe things I could do differently that I have not thought of yet.

2 Likes

Hey,
how do you handle punch in recordings?

Hi David.B, welcome to the forum. I would love to hear how you are using LV1.

Much has changed with Waves since I posted this last year, but my setup hasn’t…although I am favoring Studio One 5.1 over Cubase 11 these days. Of course, it’s been to tough to work on much other than solo projects now with Covid killing off so much of the business on every front.

To answer your question, I dont really do much for punch in recording, usually just do another take and comp after the session. It’s kind of funny that I moved away from that, considering I use to have to do that a lot when recording to tape back in the 80’s. However, when I do feel the need, I do that through the DAW. LV1 is just sort of my FOH and Monitoring setup in the studio, and I usually track from it pre-fader, or sometimes tap after Preamp if I dont need to do anything to the sound on the way in.

In the last year, SoundGrid Studio has caught up, and everything is now on V12. I bought the 64 channel version and tried it for a while, but I still prefer using LV1. Some argue I miss out on studiorack, but I dont really use StudioRack. I find it to be just as easy/effective to do an external effect insert looping though LV1, when I need to. My DAW computer is pretty beefy, so I rarely need to offload anything. I could easily use a smaller SoundGrid Server, but I already own the Extreme, so I make use of it. If we ever can get back to gigging, I might add another server just for the studio work.

In my setup, I run LV1 server and interfaces at the lowest possible latency settings. Loading the template without “any” channel plugins loaded goes a long way toward enhancing what I can get out of the extreme server. I just enable on tracks as needed. Most of the time, the server is just idling.

I set up the extreme server in an open rack inside a large closet so i cant hear it at all. It maintains a temp of 39C or 102F. Part of this is because I upgraded all the fans for it with Noctura fans and CPU cooler, but it really didnt make that much difference. IMO-Not a task for the average engineer to tackle. It would be easy to break things just trying to clean up the silicon that holds all the components in place for portability. I waited until my warranty expired before I did the fan upgrades. It maybe lowers the overall noise a few dB, and the temp a few degrees, but not enough to matter. Mounting in an open rack made all the difference for airflow. I ran intake fans in my rack to help with airflow, so I never really have issues with overheating.

My current overall RT latency in my DAW is about 7.5ms (48k/24bit/128samples) It will drop to 4.5ms if I run at 64 samples, but really dont need that since the monitoring is direct through LV1 for all things but click and cues.

Anyway, probably way more info than you were looking for, but I figured I would just state how much I still love working with LV1 in the studio. It’s the best sounding (and most cool) setup I have ever used.

1 Like

@Synetos Thanks so much for sharing your nice setup.

I’m a fan of LV1 in the studio. I use it as a live console with effect racks. I use most of the effects on FX/Mon channels into which my input channels are routed and the (dry) recorded channels return from the Logic computer. :slight_smile: when I want to print my mix I simply record LV1’s LR mix.

1 Like

You’re welcome, I am glad that was useful.

There are so many ways to be creative with LV1. I am still mixing in the DAW, but I have thought about making more use of LV1 for mixing like a console…as you are. With the ability to save presets, it really makes it possible to save versions and drop things back with the click of a button.

Hopefully there are others out there doing creative things with LV1 that will chime in and share more ideas.

1 Like