Assign different dca in each scene: Emotion LV1 Waves

I work as a sound designer for theater. I want to use the Emotion LV1. I have to create many scenes in LV1. When changing scenes, I want the channels that I am going to use to be assigned to certain DCAs (“Links”). For example in SCENE 1: Ch 1 to 10 to DCA1; Ch 11 to 15 to DCA2; Ch 16 to 40 to DCA3. In SCENE 2 I need: Ch 1 to DCA1 ; Ch 2 to 20 to DCA 2; Ch 21 to 40 muted. I have to automate different DCAs for each scene in the script. On console LV1 I don’t know how to do that. I have tried SCOPE (SHOW / SCENES / SCOPE), but when I assign certain channels to their respective DCAs in the first scene, they stay the same in the rest of the scenes. I can’t get the DCAs to reassign when I change scenes. In the SHOW window / in each scene, I have marked all the CHANNELS (1 to 64) and I have also marked all the LINK DCAs, so that in each scene the assignment can be modified. In RECALL SAFE I have not marked anything. But it does not work. Your help please.

Hi @Jozzze,

Welcome to the Waves Forum.

By default, all mixer internal routing is in recall-safe. (DCA Included)
This is because some internal routing changes can cause dropouts due to delay changes.

You can remove it from the recall safe screen which will enable you to make the mentioned change in Scenes.

Please keep in mind that disabling it from recall safe will allow you to make different routings(i.e. groups, matrixes, L/R/M/C…) that can cause audio drops.

Thank you. I understand that if I make a routing change to an AUDIO signal, there may be an audio dropout. But will the same thing happen if I change the routing of a LINK (DCA)? (LINK or DCA is not properly an AUDIO routing). Another question: I fully understand that in order to change the routing of the LINKS (DCAs) in each scene, I have to remove the ROUTE from the Recall Safe screen. I already did it and it works fine. But the problem now is that I am not going to be able to build (here in my house) all the scenes of the play, with the different DCAs as I require in each scene, because if I do, I would also be assigning all the outputs (LR , M, C). But I still don’t know how I’m going to assign those audio outputs in the theater. Everything will depend on how I set up the PA sound equipment, and I don’t know that yet. Isn’t there another way to do what I want? I want to be able to build all my scenes (with different LNK/DCA assignments in each scene), but not have my outputs changed.

Thank you. I understand that if I make a routing change to an AUDIO signal, there may be an audio dropout. But will the same thing happen if I change the routing of a LINK (DCA)? (LINK or DCA is not properly an AUDIO routing). Another question: I fully understand that in order to change the routing of the LINKS (DCAs) in each scene, I have to remove the ROUTE from the Recall Safe screen. I already did it and it works fine. But the problem now is that I am not going to be able to build (here in my house) all the scenes of the play, with the different DCAs as I require in each scene, because if I do, I would also be assigning all the outputs (LR , M, C). But I still don’t know how I’m going to assign those audio outputs in the theater. Everything will depend on how I set up the PA sound equipment, and I don’t know that yet. Isn’t there another way to do what I want? I want to be able to build all my scenes (with different LNK/DCA assignments in each scene), but not have my outputs changed.

@Jozzze,

Correct LINK or DCA should not cause audio drops, I was referring to other changes you can apply which can lead to dropouts once it is disabled.

Mix bus routing to I/O’s can not be affected by scene changes. ROUTING in recall safe/scope relates to internal routing in the mixer only.

To be on the safe side I suggest taking this with Tech Support whom I see you are already in touch with, they will be able to provide you with all information and the course of action after verifying all details with you.

Thank you.
Could you please explain this to me?: “Mix bus routing to I/O’s can not be affected by scene changes. ROUTING in recall safe/scope relates to internal routing in the mixer only.”

Hi @Jozzze,

Sure. Say I un-highlighted the ROUTING item in the Recall Safe screen. Let’s take L/R for example - If I route it to let’s say IOX 1/2 > store scene A then reroute L/R to IOX 3/4 > store to scene B - moving between scenes A and B will not change the L/R IO routing. That’s what I meant.

However, if I route channel 1 to L/R, store scene A, then un-route channel 1 from L/R and store to scene 2 - moving between scenes A and B will change the routing of channel 1 to L/R.

I’m not sure if that’s what you initially meant when describing the issue, but I hope it clarifies what I mean.

Ok. Right. Thank you.

Most welcome @Jozzze hope that helped out clearing things up a bit.

1 Like