WAVES.COM SPECIALS SUPPORT

WavesLocalServer...what is it and why doesn't it quit when I quit my DAW?

Hello,

Upgraded to Waves v12 today, and immediately noticed more resources being used than v11 on my Mac. Went to Activity Monitor and see “waveslocalserver” as one of the top three Memory hogs, and it’s still running despite the fact that I’d quit Pro Tools over an hour ago.

What is this, why doesn’t it quit when I quit Pro Tools, and how can I make it do so without constantly having to visit the Activity Monitor?

I registered to complain about the same thing on Windows. Quitting the DAW still leaves this running.

I find if you rename the executable so it never runs, the new preset browser doesnt appear in the “load” menu. I’m not sure what else is affected though.

I actually saw your complaint on the Cakewalk forums when I Googled “waveslocalserver v12”. Looks like you and I got Windows and Mac covered, respectively. :wink:

I’m really just annoyed that it continues to eat up RAM after I quit Pro Tools, and I have to manually quit the process. I hope enough people complain and something gets done about it.

This is what my Activity Monitor looks like after I quit Pro Tools.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 12.02.23 PM

Hi @robbadobba,

WavesLocalServer is a background process that is used to facilitate cross plugin communications, preset scanning, advanced plugin features and licensing abilities.
This service does not collect or transmit any personal user information or usage data.
The reason this service stays open in the background is to optimize loading and scanning times. We are working to minimize the resources it requires.
There is no problem if the service is terminated, but it will be relaunched by the plugin once it is needed.

Thanks

Please give us an option to have the process stopped when the DAW is closed.

Hey @funk,

I have passed this request on to our Dev team.
Appreciated!

Thank you @Yishai-Waves :slight_smile:

Seconded. There are no good reasons for this not to quit when the DAW does, and free up the RAM.

Created a forum account just for that, this is annoying and I can’t even understand how the Waves team through it would be a good idea to have a .exe eating memory while doing NOTHING when your DAW is not even running anymore. Also people hate when some ghosty stuff are running in the background, I mean, not trying to sound rude but come on, this is some low level stuff. Just kill the task when we closed our Daw or something.

I saw that deleting the exe (or even the whole folder WavesLocalServer ) will fully get ride of it, but like funk said, it will also remove the new preset loading menu (which is kind of useless anyway)

Still, I hope you’ll resove this issue ASAP.

Copyright © 2019 Waves Audio Ltd. All rights reserved. Contact Us | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy