Waves NX other multichannel configurations

HI, I work in IRCAM in Paris, an Institution that makes contemporary music productions, and I found really useful Abbey Road Studio 3 and NX for headphones stereo monitoring.
But actually, I work on a lot of electronic acousmatic music, for different multichannel setups, other than the standard 2, 5.1, or 7.1 configurations.

It would be so great if Studio3 or NX could also allow to build custom multichannel configurations, like 6.1, 8.1 or 4.1. These are mostly the standard configs for classical electronic music.
And a lot of people in the world would enjoy that feature and start to use your plugin.
The setup limitation makes it useful only for film or commercial music purposes.

A lot of contemporary music composers that work with electronics will be so happy about the possibility to use NX to simulate their specific multichannel configuration during the mixing with headphones. Covid19 locking down brought this issue more strongly than in the past, since we can’t access our multichannel studios.

Would you be kind to add this feature to NX?
I would be very glad to do beta testing on that.

Best wishes, take care

Carlo Laurenzi

IRCAM Computer Music Designer
1 place Igor Stravinsky, 75004 Paris

1 Like

Hi @laurenzi,

I have re-categorized this under ‘Feature Requests’ and passed it to the Nx Product Manager.

Thanks!

I wanted to bump this request. I’m a composer and sound designer, who would love to be able to monitor in our standard formats at least (octaphonic, etc. as O.P. mentioned.). Custom configuration would be a dream, but I can see that it would be a bigger development task than just adding some more formats.

I would think just adding some more multichannel options like 8.0 or 8.1, etc. would be feasible within what exists, and I don’t know if you know how much of a new Waves customer base you could draw in with people who are in this immersive/spatial audio and music community but aren’t in the commercial production world.