Loudness Metering Standards

Hi post posters!

Check out this introduction to loudness metering to learn about meeting industry standards using WLM+.

What standard do you use?

2 Likes

WLM+ is my savior, I’ll be lost without it.
Using it almost daily with Surround Audio delivery for DCP when asked for Leq-m 84 standard levels.

3 Likes

There are quite a few different types of metering systems offered on the WLM+ meter. I have read the loudness metering Standards document, which gave some clarification on the EBU vs ASTC, I’ve long known the differences of VU vs PPM, I also own The Dorrough Loudness Meter, but the document failed to get into the specific of the rest of the options. While I have basics on ASTC for TV, EBU** is more for music, what are all the variations for: eg. +9 vs +18?, OP?, ARIB?, Discovery?. The only one that makes sense is the ‘Sony Playstation’. What are the different types best suited for? When would you want to use the 9 vs 18 mode? All the manuals tells you is that they exist and the range of the controls, no explanation as to why to use one or the other. I live in Canada, if that make any difference?

@MusicMachineX3, welcome to our forum!
These are broadcast loudness standards.
Different broadcasting organizations and associations provide guidelines and standards which productions need to comply with in order to be approved for broadcast.
These presets match the standards of the different organizations and associations in the market, and help post production engineers and mixers comply when handing in projects.
Does this answer your question?

Hi Yishai

It helps,. But Where do you find the ’ Different broadcasting organizations and associations 
 guidelines and standards which productions need to comply with in order to be approved for broadcast.’? to know which one to use.

My main use is - Music for Radio airplay or downloading such as Spotify, Apple etc. At this time not much for Movies or games.

Regards

Willi

This is not a tool for listening to or watching streaming services or playing downloaded media - it is for the production side.

You have no use for it with Music for Radio airplay or downloading such as Spotify, Apple etc.

When a production submits a TV episode, movie or even music to Netflix for instance - the audio mix must comply with Netflix’s Loudness standards.
The production can check if the mix complies using WLM+, and also add some limiting where needed.
If it does not comply, WLM+ gives a warning and the mixing engineer can fix any issues until it does.

Netflix / EBU / Discovery / Sony and more have slightly different loudness standards and guidelines, which they provide to the productions that they contract.
These standards are represented as presets within WLM+.

Apple Music have their own mastering tools, with built in loudness specs.
Spotify list their loudness specifications here.

Hi Willi,

with loudness measurement the question is not so much “what material am I mixing (music, movie, documentary)” but “what platform/network am I mixing for”. And then it’s up to you, to contact the network and ask what standard they use. So if you’re mixing music, it doesn’t matter if it’s country or hip hop. What matters is where the music is going to be released. If it’s going to be released on Spotify, use the spotify preset (latest WLM update added presets for spotify/youtube/apple). If it’s for a local radio station, then only they can tell you what specs they require.

ITU = International Telecommunications Union
ATSC = Advanced Television Systems Committee (USA)
ARIB = Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (Japan)
EBU = European Broadcast Union
OP = Operational Practice by FreeTV (Australia)

The not often mentioned CKOD Standard

Cops Knocking On the Door telling me to turn it down usually manages my lounges levels quite quite a lot. :upside_down_face: :rofl:

I’m mastering a 56:46 program for PBS using the WLM plus in Avid Media Composer 2022.4.0 and I would like to meter the entire program but the plugin stops at 5:25 every time. How do I get it to meter the entire 56 minutes?

Hi @ronbourkefilms,

Welcome to the Waves Forum.

Since Avid Media Composer is not qualified or supported to work with Waves products, it might cause issues as you describe as well as other ones.

We do support a large variety of DAWs where the reported behavior does not occur. There should be no limitation as you mentioned, this might also be related to your session and/or host settings.

Additionally, if you ever have any issues with your Waves products on supported DAW, our Tech Team will be able to assist with solving almost any technical issue related to Waves.

1 Like