Hybrid Production

Does anyone else create hybrid styles, such as fusing metal with dubstep, or hard rock with orchestral?

When doing the Hybrid production, do you tend to mix heavier on the electronic side or the organic side? If that makes sense.

I tend to lean towards the electronic side, especially on the bass.

2 Likes

I used to have a sort industrial metal band.
The way I approached the mixing was getting my electro stuff pretty much done before recording any live instruments. That way we could tailor the organic sounds during recording. It made the mixes a lot easier later on.

2 Likes

I am in a kind of hybrid band. It is contemporary metal with some electronica in it. I would say, we use electronica thing to augment the live rock band experience. But it also depends highly on the song itself. I think there is no ā€˜rightā€™ answer here, it is more about artistic choice.

1 Like

Makes good sense @Andy_Gone. I tend to do it the way @Ron_Waves does it though. Mix the electronica stuff first. But yeah, I do agree that there is no ā€œrightā€ answer. I kind of model my music sorta after Celldweller. Ever hear of him?

Yep, very interesting hybrid genre. I love stuff like that. Maybe we will try something closer to this, but currently we are more rockā€™nā€™roll-based with electronica rather than what Celldweller does. Ironically, in our case we use pre-mixed electronica stuff in the playback we are playing to, so we rehearse to fit with it.

Hi. I try as good as I can to incorporate either orchestra or electronic influences when making metal. I think it makes it much more interesting :love_you_gesture:
How good a job I do, isnā€™t that much to brag about :sunglasses:
All the best.

Share what you do man

Iā€™m not allowed to share links yet, it seems.
All the best.

This is an old song of mine re-recorded and mixed by me. I had help with the bass, and the soloā€™s at the end by some friends.
Feedback appreciated.
All the best.

2 Likes

@zargg WOW intense music and great mix!

1 Like

Thanks for the positive feedback, Yishai :sunglasses: :metal:
All the best.

Iā€™ll try to do a link again. This is one of my hybrid songs called ā€œRealization.ā€

Nopeā€¦still canā€™t post a link. Says Iā€™m a new member. How did you post that Zargg?

Iā€™m now a Trusted Level 2 Member, so I I think I can post links.

Here is a piece called Cast Away. See if you can tell what vibe I was going for:

2 Likes